michael gurstein on Fri, 3 Jan 2014 01:31:28 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> So, What Do We Do Now? Living in a Post-Snowden World

Andreas,

Given what we now know (and remember that this evidently is only a tiny
fraction of what we still might learn... my reading is that my formulations
are at least in outline correct (but I would be delighted to have someone
with the technical knowledge prove (or even argue) that I was wrong).

Certainly there is much droppage between cup and lip but as I understand it
the overall capabilities I pointed to are there. Whether they can be
effectively executed, directed in any usefully targeted way (but of course
that is one of the problems--cf. the wedding goers/drone victims syndrome),
operated by sufficiently intelligent beings (are bots beings?) to actually
do what they are intended to do is either a very practical or a deep
philosophical question neither of which my post was intended to resolve.

Rather my post was a quite personal expression of the dilemma that I see as
someone trying to be active/effective (as a civil society person) in the
evolving space of global Internet governance.

Best to all for the new year,

Mike