morlockelloi on Fri, 11 Oct 2013 20:28:21 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Pascal Zachary: Rules for the Digital Panopticon (IEEE)

This realization per se is pretty much useless, as are endless ruminations regarding how free we were, once upon time. The old Marxist postulate that awareness will save the species is blatantly false - look around you.

These technologies came to rule the world because their proponents made coherent efforts to make it so. The only way to do something about it is to actively develop other technologies which tilt the balance in the direction you like better. Countering technology with words, laws and general awareness will get you nowhere. See 'bronze age'.

The corollary is that the future belongs to the few, not to the masses, because high tech is centralized by nature, as it requires understanding, and those capabilities are scarce. The rest are fucked ... I mean 'users'.

There are only competing elites.

NSA at all. It is about the dawning realization that we all now live
inside a "virtual" system that compels us to *control* ourselves,
since all the details of our lives are being "remembered," in a way
that no *human* civilization has EVER even imagined it could do!