Petra Löffler on Fri, 27 Sep 2013 19:12:31 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Distributed Attention - Response to Margarete Morse

Dear Margaret Morse,
thank you for your comments on my arguments which I've provided in the
interview with Geert. I would like to react on them briefly.
In my research on discourses of distraction I found out that, around
1800, distraction was reformulated as distributed attention. At the
same time forms of deep attention like absorption were specified as
interior distraction. Hence, I would claim, the traditional opposition
(as provided first of all by philosophy) between attention and
distraction has collapsed.

I too was surprised by the way Adorno and Horkheimer was claiming that
an excess of distraction attaches art. I believe it implies a
dialectical move towards a new quality (according to the proposition
that a high quantity can change into a new quality). Adorno and
Horkheimer had popular entertainments like film comedies and animated
films in mind, when they where thinking on an excess of distraction.
Insofar the notion of "intensified distraction" seems less contradictory.

Is distraction a metaphor? I've problems with that term, inasmuch as
it is related to symbolic signification, especially to language. I've
rejected the term because I'm more interested in cultural practices
(in Foucault's sense) like fairground activities or mass media
reception and bodily reactions or interactions as for instance
dizziness. Do metaphors have effects on bodies? Distraction is of
course a cultural concept and is involved in power relations and
normalization.

I hope this comments can clarify my arguments.
Best regards,
Petra Löffler

--
Vertr. Prof. Dr. Petra Löffler

Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
Fakultät Medien/Professur für Medienphilosophie
Bauhausstraße 11
99423 Weimar
Tel.: +49(0)3643/58 37 76
Fax: +49(0)3643/58 37 51