Felix Stalder on Sat, 14 Sep 2013 00:44:46 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Yochai Benkler: Time to tame the NSA behemoth

Meanwhile, another take on the same issue. This time by Google's Eric Schmidt.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/13/eric-schmidt-google-nsa-surveillance

"There's been spying for years, there's been surveillance for years, and so forth, I'm not going to pass judgement on that, it's the nature of our society."

And the problem with all of this is, according to Schmidt:

"The real danger [from] the publicity about all of this is that other countries will begin to put very serious encryption – we use the term 'balkanization' in general – to essentially split the internet and that the internet's going to be much more country specific. That would be a very bad thing, it would really break the way the internet works, and I think that's what I worry about."

-|- http://felix.openflows.com ------------------------ books out now:

*|Cultures & Ethics of Sharing/Kulturen & Ethiken des Teilens UIP 2012
*|Vergessene Zukunft. Radikale Netzkulturen in Europa. transcript 2012
*|Deep Search. The Politics of Searching Beyond Google. Studienv. 2009
*|Mediale Kunst/Media Arts Zurich.13 Positions. Scheidegger&Spiess2008
*|Manuel Castells and the Theory of the Network Society.Polity P. 2006
*|Open Cultures and the Nature of Networks. Ed Futura / Revolver, 2005