Marko Peljhan on Tue, 2 Jul 2013 11:53:05 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> NSA-spying-on-Europe outrage somewhat disingenuous

Heiko, great that you pointed out to this legal brief which is a fantastic, albeit a bit heavy legal read. The Dr. Herzog, Dr. Hesse, Dr. Katzenstein, Dr. Niemeyer, Dr. Heußner, Niedermaier, Dr. Henschelbrief, Bamford's early revelations in the form of books and of course Nicky Hager's Secret Power are the first steps of clarity on the long path of discovery that for now ends with Snowden. And hey, Bamford even exposed Prism (without naming it...) in his article in Wired last year, and the reaction
of the wider public and politicians everywhere was more or less crickets....
There were clear signs that this is happening, from Room 641a on Folsom street in San Francisco (whistleblower Mark Klein) to the Pointdexter dissapeared TIA, which we now know what codenames it evolved into.... And we are talking only about the West here. Russia and China have of course their own "methods" and "technologies" and sometimes buy equipment from the very same companies as the NSA...so does the rest of the world with enough
cash and spook cache....

From the mid 90's on we have done extensive work on these topics, including analyzing and implementing the nicely written Australian Communications Interception Act of 1979 and its amendment of 1997, which of course got a new world face in the recent developments that are completely consistent with the UKUSA (AUS/CAN/NZ) strategic alliance. \
See: http://info.publicintelligence.net/AU-NatSecInquiry.pdf.
The problem here is that SIGINT and COMINT technology and methods have of course traveled their exponential trajectory, that is being generated in the R&D labs of Narus (now Boeing...) (http://www.narus.com/), Verint (http://verint.com/) and similar companies and even university labs (of course)....
check out the lovely generic websites.
And yes, it is rather ironic that there is so much "surprise" after Spiegel published the facts that Campbell and even the European Parliament have already exposed to the European public
long time ago.
Network warfare is slowly showing its material contours and everybody is suddenly (again) surprised.

I always resort to bard Dylan in such times....

At midnight all the agents
And the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone
That knows more than they do