Newmedia on Wed, 12 Jun 2013 13:10:41 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> dark days

Felix:

> There are dark days, these days.

We, the humans, are in serious trouble.

What we are up against isn't HUMAN at all; it's a "system" and that means
MACHINES.

The Google slogan is "Don't BE Evil."  That is a statement made by the
machines about themselves.

As anyone with a smattering of Western cultural education knows, it is
*impossible* for humans to not "be evil," since it is in our essential  nature.
 We can try to avoid "doing" evil but no human could live up to the  Google
slogan.

What Snowden, having given up on Obama et al, has just done  by sacrificing
himself is to try to stop the machines.

But, since the humans *refuse* to understand the machines -- which is our
only hope -- we cannot possibly fight back.

What is decried as "neo-liberal" is just a label for those who are most
assiduously working for the machines.  They are the BORG -- for whom
"Resistance is Futile."

For the humans, in the WEST (but not the whole world, particularly in
China, where the cultural dynamics are fundamentally different), these are
indeed dark days . . .

Mark Stahlman
Brooklyn NY