Armin Medosch on Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:08:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> dark days

Hi, Felix,

why so negative? Of coure everything that you say in the first paragraph is true, but that can also be interpreted differently. Yes, it seems our governments are showing more and more their real faces, yes, there is a bourgeois authoritarianism, a term you yourself have used, and it is still growing. But resistance is also growing, Turkish civil society is not taking it anymore and here also people start to understand that they are getting cheated, that they are told lies, that nothing can be relied on anymore, you can even shut down public television over night.

BUt the alternatives are also getting developed. I would like to point to a piece I have written on the occasion of the launch of Seeds Undergfround by Shu Lea Cheang tonight in Linz. The piece is about her work but raises also a theoretical question regarding an emancipatory media practice ...

Greening the Network Commons

In 2001, Shu Lea Cheang created Steam the green, Stream the field (Cheang, 2001-02), a work which anticipated a major shift in the discourse and practice of post-media art by 10 years. Shu Lea Cheang insists on calling herself a 'self-styled' artist, emphasising her autonomy to define her activities as art. Her projects highlight the potential of the coming together of social self-organisation with a social and trans-media art practice that combines landscapes and datascapes, the natural and the digital commons.

more

http://www.thenextlayer.org/node/1462

All best
Armin