Joe Karaganis on Thu, 6 Dec 2012 02:07:47 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> The 'Kill the Hobbit to Save Regular Earth' Initiative

For those of you with artistic leanings and a distaste for the rank
corruption of New Zealand's film subsidy policies, we are inviting
submissions of drawings, multimedia installations, or other art to the
'Kill the Hobbit to Save Regular Earth' Initiative.

Rules below.  Valuable prizes awarded.  Spread the word and kill the Hobbit.

http://piracy.americanassembly.org/the-kill-the-hobbit-to-save-regular-earth-initiative/

------

I am happy to announce the ???Kill the Hobbit to Save Regular Earth??? Initiative??? KH2SREI for short (pronounced Kisstory, after the ancient Elven admonition to beware Hobbits bringing gifts).
I invite you to flesh out the Kisstory allegory in whatever direction makes most sense to you.  If you send me pictures, I will publish them here (as long as they are not obscene or gratuitously nasty).  I will even try to talk the good people at Bloomberg View into running them.  And if we get enough submissions we will have a public vote to award copies of the ???semi-epic??? Media Piracy in Emerging Economies (http://piracy.americanassembly.org/the-report/)  to the two most worthy entries (plus whatever other awards we can accumulate in the meantime.)  With luck, we???ll assemble a panel of distinguished judges to make these additional awards.
Some suggested guidelines:
Extra points for including other figures from the story, such as New Zealand PM John Key (gollum?) or Peter Jackson (Saruman?)
Extra points for representing the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement.
Extra points for contrasting a free and open Internet to some future, corrupted TPPA Internet.
Extra points for adding more Harry Potter references or other WB properties into the mix.
Extra points for combining this somehow with the Hawkeye Initiative (http://thehawkeyeinitiative.com/).
Special awards for multimedia (Downfall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5qHckZlAT8) anyone?)
Special award for the best pro-Hobbit, pro TPPA, pro Warner Bros art, if we get any.

Submissions will be accepted (and occasionally published) through Dec 31.  We???ll also set up some sort of public voting mechanism.
You can submit images or links to work to KilltheHobbit@yahoo.com (mailto:KilltheHobbit@yahoo.com)
All images will be assumed to be available under a CC attribution non-commercial use license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/), so that we can keep public culture public.
------
Rim hennaid, Nettime readers.