aha on Wed, 29 Aug 2012 17:14:26 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> crowd-funding on nettime

good morning!

I think that Chris & Keith are making very correct points. In my mind, perhaps wrongly, the crowd funding calls/announcements, are a blunt form of project announcements, gallery openings, or indeed paper & participation calls. While not all such events are funded, many which are, will either receive none - or far less - if people did not come/use the service/event. Therefore by talking about, an endeavour and/or announcing, is it not a way to ensure a certain "success" measured by numbers that will have direct effects on funding?

Just a thought.

Have a good day!

Aharon
xx

digihub.org.uk

Quoting Christopher Leslie <chrisleslie01@gmail.com>:

I think Keith's response is phrased particularly well. A conversation that does not overtly involve money is still funded in some way â otherwise there would be no way to use a network to send it and receive it and we would not have the leisure to participate.
<...>