martin hardie on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:19:44 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Vegetative Prince Will Not Wake Up: Dutch Prince Friso medical ethics and the ordeal of social inequality

he figures i refer to were from the first years of the Dutch law. They
were from the 1990s. I dont have them at hand but I recall them clearly as
I worked on a case in Australia about the so called right to death. I
started out thinking that it was ok, something I supported, but in the end
after reading the literature and reports I realised that it was a great
danger to allow the state to have the power to kill ... in the end this is
what it is ... you can dress it up as personal ethics but the fact is the
state sanctions and gives its blessing to a killing. Hence as you realise
laws can be 'misused' giving the state such a power is mad

go find a smack dealer and stock up if you want to die

re MP

Good point ... funny how euthanasia raises its had at the time of
liberalism and the economy

"The rise of the euthanasia movement in the United States coincided with
>> the so-called Gilded Age (i.e. late 1860s to about 1896) ? a time of
>> social and technological change that encompassed an "individualistic
>> conservatism that praised laissez faire economics, scientific method,
>> and rationalism", along with major depressions, industrialisation and
>> conflict between corporations and labor unions. It was also a time that
>> saw the development of the modern hospital system, seen as a factor in
>> the emergence of the euthanasia debate."
 <...>