Patrice Riemens on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:14:22 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> crowd-funding on nettime

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 08:27:46PM +0200, Keith Hart wrote:

> Capitalism's moral economy is based on the separation of a sphere
> where money is paid from one where it is not. This leads to a
> fetishized notion that money has the power to transform social
> relations. I would not make the money issue decisive in this case.
> The mods should decide on the basis of the intellectual quality of a
> bid for crowdfunding. If it is little better than spam, kick it out.
> Otherwise let us decide if we want to read it or not. It doesn't take
> long to make a decision of that sort, maybe 5-10 seconds.
 <...>

Keith has the best argument, immo. Esp the 5-10 secs part ;-) Myself was
thinking about a separate CF list, like we have announce (or had), but I think
Keith's suggestion is smarter: trust the mods & then go after yr intuition (&
pocket-book). After all crowd-funding is a clear, and sympathetic alternative
to other types of (capitalist) sponsoring models. Maybe one should think about
an appropriate format (roughly) and also a clear 1st line announce, eg "this
is a crowd-funding apeal"?
Cheers, p+4D!