t byfield on Thu, 19 Jul 2012 19:55:56 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Naomi Wolf: This global financial fraud and its gatekeepers (Gu...

Silly Keith, don't you get it? "Guns" -- a proxy for all PHYSICAL
aggression -- are just *props* in the "theater" of warfare. Sure,
they "work" in the sense of actually destroying human bodies and
the "fear" of them has actual, empirical consequences; but from a
HISTORICAL perspective, "we're all dead in the long run." So, to
"understand" history, you need to "step outside of it." That way,
whatever comes from the end of a rifle -- "power," for example --
comes wrapped in quotation marks!

So is the PEN mightier than the SWORD? Or will sticks and stones
BREAK my bones but WORDS never hurt me?

You may think we can't "step outside of" history," but we can.
How? The answer, amazingly enough, is VISUAL. "Quotation marks"!

But, like guns, quotation marks are just a proxy for a broader
"philosophical" procedure -- of bracketing objects and phenomena,
and CASTING them in a different "space." That's why VISUALIZING
"data" is such a central technique in capitalist discourse: it
lets us "present" the world in neat little Cartesian birdcages
that are OPTICALLY distinct from the actual world we "inhabit."
They SHOW us that, however erratic the "data" is, we can contain
it in seemingly "rational" frameworks with distinct "historical"
periods "carved" from time understood as the endless march of
self-similar quanta. Minor issues like the SUBJECTIVITY of the
AUDIENCE are banished: reduced to the impoverished, "mechanistic"
discourse of the USER and his "cognitive" habits. And the EVENT,
which we spent decades demolishing, returns in a neo-"modernist"
guise: the hermetically sealed perfection of the "dot." And all
those myriad forms of "ambiguity" and "social construction" --
aspects that were "built" over centuries of INQUIRY and ACTIVISM
-- are "deconstructed" or DE-BUILT, unmade, RUINS reduced to so
much featureless "sand" by the "storm we call progress": they
become LINES that "connect" (or tactitly "disconnect") the "dots."

You may laugh, but this kind of SCHEMATIC (dis)connection is
absolutely central to "discourses" now -- at a level that
"quantitative" inquiry and analysis will not, CANNOT grasp.

I'm getting "bored" of this STYLE of writing, so I'll "stop."

I couldn't agree more with you about the primacy of guns over
"guns" etc, etc. However (or, better, additionally), it's also
worth considering the ways in which various aesthetic forms --
whether seemingly idiosyncatic uses of punctuation or techniques
of pseudo-systematic representation -- both reveal and conceal
brutal material realities. But they aren't merely representative;
they actively perpetuate and enforce -- through an impoverished
vocabulary and even more impoverished meta-commentaries (for ex,
contemporary rhetorics that have addressed and explained the
'audience' > 'listener' > 'viewer' > 'consumer' > 'user') -- what
can (and tacitly cannot, i.e., *will not*) be understood about
the present. This kind of visual bracketing, whether in the form
of equivocated "[words]" or arbitarily delimited and more or less
metaphorical 'spaces' -- which we hear about everywhere, always
-- are signs of a hegemonic territorialization in speech and
image. The fact that they're obsessively used to direct inquiry
toward immaterial cognition rather than material realities isn't
an accident of history.

Cheers,

mrzero@panix.com (Wed 07/18/12 at 09:11 PM -0400):