Patrice Riemens on Sun, 29 Apr 2012 16:43:26 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Edufactory & Debt Deptt: Alex Gavic is our hero!

>From an article in this week-end's WSJ - available to subs only, but
lifted at:
http://www.lipstickalley.com/f219/education-slowdown-threatens-u-s-391155/

unfortunately, they left out the last sentences (dutifuly copied by hand
for u by yrs truly) which are the most remarkable - esp for an WSJ
article...

-------

Alex Gavic, 21, is one of those who don't want to take on college debt. As
a teenager, he had fleeting thoughts of studying marine biology in
college.

Instead, he dropped out of high school?eventually receiving a high-school
diploma in a second-chance program at a community college.

Today, he makes $12 an hour at a Park City, Utah, landscaping firm during
the summer so he can snowboard daily during the winter.

"The greater society told me I had to go to college if I want to make it
in life, but it's not true," said Mr. Gavic, who competes
semiprofessionally in snowboarding. "I don't care about making a lot of
money because I'm happy. I'm just living the life."

rest of article (& end of it) reads:

Mr Gavic said he hopes he will have his own landscaping business one day.
But in the meanwhile he doesn't envy his peers who went to college, many
of whom have debts to repay and still haven't found jobs.

"You spend all this time in school, then you are in debt, then you have to
find a job to spend 20 years to pay it back" he said. "That never made
sense to me."

Sponsor Alex Gavic!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dM5Rdyyimc

;-)