Ben Birkinbine on Tue, 13 Mar 2012 00:46:17 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> 'Occupy' as a business model: The emerging open-source civilisation

Just a quick point of clarification/elaboration, and I apologize if
I've missed it in earlier posts.

Michael wrote:

> Dmytri Kleiner, who calls himself a "venture communist", has proposed a
> clever new "peer production" license, which would open up the commons to
> ethical companies and other commoners - but not to for-profits, who would
> need to pay.

I'm just curious as to who would be handling the payments from
for-profits in your formulation.  If we are practicing "prefigurative
economics," what sort of organizational structure will support the
receipt of payments.  Furthermore, where does this money go?  Is it to
be diverted to more commons-based peer-production projects?  If so,
how?

It seems to me like this is the tension that lies at the heart of
"building a new world in the shell of the old."

Ben Birkinbine

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Brian Holmes

<bhcontinentaldrift@gmail.com> wrote:

> 'Occupy' as a business model: The emerging open-source civilisation
>
> Michel Bauwens
>
> http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/03/2012361233474499.html
>
> Last week I discussed the value crisis of contemporary capitalism: the
> broken feedback loop between the productive publics who create exponentially
> increasing use value, and those who capture this value through social media
> - but do not return these income streams to the value "produsers".
>
> In other words, the current so-called "knowledge economy" is a sham and a
> pipe dream - because abundant goods do not fare well in a market economy.
> For the sake of the world's workers, who live in an increasingly precarious
> situation, is there a way out of this conundrum? Can we restore the broken
> feedback loop?
 <...>