Joss Winn on Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:16:29 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> A Movement Without Demands?

Dear Brian,

In your question below about educational initiatives, are you thinking of something along the lines of the Social Science Centre, Lincoln?

http://socialsciencecentre.org.uk/

http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/mike-neary/social-science-centre-radical-new-model-for-higher-education

We are still in the process of planning the curriculum, but have been working on this for the last year or so. Much of it depends on the time and energy that local people can spare to work on it. Still, we have 35 or so signed up members of the co-operative, a place to meet and teach, and over a grand in the bank to spend when we need to.

Joss

On 6 Jan 2012, at 00:03, Brian Holmes wrote:

> So where to begin? Many have observed that all around the world, the
> current protests are driven by debt-ridden students and graduates without
> a future. The precarious middle class, in short ("lost a job, found an
> occupation"). At the same time, the numbers tell us that the worst-hit
> are the working and marginalized classes, mostly across the color line.
> The next big movements could easily look quite different. In all
> likelihood we are headed toward an even more extensive social crisis.
<...>