Joss Winn on Fri, 21 Oct 2011 14:31:26 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> New Book: Internet and Surveillance: The Challenges of Web 2.0 and Social Media

On 21 Oct 2011, at 08:16, Dave Hollis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Almost €100 for a book of just over 300 pages is, to put it politely,
> more than a bit steep. Is there going to be a version published that
> can be bought by normal mortals?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

Clearly books like these are best not put into our hands, despite being funded by an EU project.

It's in the same Routledge series as 'Hacking Capitalism', which is a useful and fairly unique book, but I hardly ever see it cited, no doubt because it's $125 (230 pages)

http://www.amazon.com/Hacking-Capitalism-Routledge-Information-Technology/dp/0415955432/

It makes you wonder why authors even bother approaching academic publishers.

You transfer your Copyright to Taylor & Francis and then they price it out of reach of individuals to buy. It's even more remarkable when you see it happening to titles like these, where the authors spend time critiquing the structures of Capital and then turn their work over to a publisher who strangles it through pricing and copyright transferral (in the case of Soderberg's book, at least).

Joss

> On 20.10.2011 14:53, Christian Fuchs wrote:
>> Fuchs, Christian, Kees Boersma, Anders Albrechtslund and Marisol
>> Sandoval (Eds.). 2011. Internet and Surveillance: The Challenges of
>> Web 2.0 and Social Media. New York: Routledge. ISBN
>> 978-0-415-89160-8. EU COST Publication. 332 pages.
 <...>