paolo do on Sat, 15 Oct 2011 14:48:56 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Don’t pay their debt off! Claim your social credit!

#occupybankitalia #15oct #globalchange

In Madrid and New York, Santiago and Athens, Tel Aviv and Reykjavik we, the “(multi)generations with no future” are rising up – refusing to pay for their crisis and rejecting the rhetorical refrain of a “general liability” towards debt. We have a different kind of society in mind, one based on a radical redistribution of wealth and on the sharing of common resources. The 99% of the planet is unwilling to accept the greed of the few.

In the countdown towards the international protest of October 15 against austerity policies, dictated in Italy by the European Central Bank and Berlusconi’s government, we called for a public protest against the Bank of Italy and the ECB – as the symbols of a global governance imposing decisions that have no democratic legitimacy.

That’s why the 12th october in Rome and other cities of Italy we decided that was time for direct action! We launched a call on the social networks to occupy Banca d'Italia, in the occasion of the international conference that was held there at the presence of the Italian President Giorgio Napolitano and the future president of the EBC Mario Draghi.

In the afternoon thousands of people were there. We found there an incredible deployment of police and armoured vehicles but we decided anyway to stay and occupy the street.

Since this day we are still there, we resist to the attempt of the police to move out the occupation: our only symbol is a rebel dragon, we have no names and identities but the common will to change the world.

>From days we are blocking the street and the city, the square in front of Banca d'Italia became a space of democracy and freedom, from which we refuse the dictatorship of the financial institution.

We reject the deficit blackmail and urge for a redistribution of wealth, for the protection of workers rights, for free and autonomous universities and for a new universal welfare against precariousness

In synergy with the acampadas and the free occupations in Spain, in US and many other countries, we propose to build a common space where to extendedly gather and protest. Let us all get together and demand social justice and change through one, basic claim: we won’t pay their debt off, it’s time to claim our social credit!

The 15th October we will take the streets with many others in Rome to be part of the worldwide mobilization for global change.

It is time to rise up. We are the 99%, we have a world to reinvent.

Rebel Dragons towards the 15th October