nettime's avid reader on Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:54:32 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> James Love: In Defense Of WikiLeaks

In Defense Of WikiLeaks: Looking At Cables On Pharmaceutical Drugs And
Trade Pressures

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-love/wikileaks-cables-pharmaceutical-
drugs_b_947806.html

James Love
Director, Knowledge Ecology International

Like many others, I have spent the past several days combing through
countless US Department of State cables. I am primarily looking at the
cables that describe our government's efforts to drive up the price of
medicine in developing countries. This is an act of state-sponsored
violence that is rarely reported by the New York Times, the Guardian or
other newspapers that had received early copies of the cables.

I am also looking at the news of and the reaction to WikiLeaks' failure to
withhold access to cables that include the names of sources of
intelligence, putting at risk the lives of the persons so named.

While I join those who are greatly saddened by this lapse in security, and
aware of the consequences, I am also shocked at the bitter attacks on
WikiLeaks, which seem unbalanced, under the circumstances. I think that
Glenn Greenwald got things right in Salon, when he wrote yesterday that "a
series of unintentional though negligent acts by multiple parties --
WikiLeaks, The Guardian's investigative reporter David Leigh, and Open
Leaks' Daniel Domscheit-Berg" led to the release of all documents in
unredacted form. Domscheit-Berg, who sought to share in the glory of the
WikiLeaks operation, essentially stole a copy of the encrypted files from
WikiLeaks, which led, unintentionally, to the circulation of the encrypted
version of the unredacted cables. But this by itself would not have created
the problem, except for the fact that David Leigh of the Guardian chose to
publish the password to the file in a book, last year.

This is the passage from David Leigh's book:

    Assange wrote down on a scrap of paper:

    ACollectionOfHistorySince_1966_ToThe_PresentDay#. "That's the
password," he said. "But you have to add one extra word when you type it
in. You have to put in the Word "Diplomatic' before the word 'History." Can
you remember that?"

Nigel Parry, in his excellent account of the disclosure, notes that David
Leigh remains unrepentant about having published the "secret" password,
claiming he did not realize that a password to the encrypted file would be
permanent, rather than temporary. And, given the reporting in his own book,
it seems obvious that Leigh did not know much about computers. But at that
point, as Greenwald and others have noted, after a series of mistakes by
lots of people, "virtually every government's intelligence agencies would
have had access to these documents as a result of these events, but the
rest of the world -- including journalists, whistle-blowers and activists
identified in the documents -- did not." So, WikiLeaks finally released
everything, and I think this was the right thing to do.

Is there blame to go around? Yes, plenty. The US Department of State
allowed someone to leak its cables to WikiLeaks. WikiLeaks allowed someone
to leak those same cables in encrypted form, and a reporter from the
Guardian thought it would be good literature to publish the password to the
encrypted files.

What else was happening during this period? US political figures were
calling for Assange to be assassinated, or thrown in jail. Every major
financial institution was blocking financial transitions to WikiLeaks.
Domscheit-Berg and others were carrying out what increasingly looked like a
personal vendetta to smear WikiLeaks. The Swedish government put out an
Interpol red alert charging Assange with rape. And, probably lots of other
things were going on to destabilize the WikiLeaks operation. This was, I am
certain, more pressure than most of us have experienced.

In the end, what have the WikiLeaks cables given the public? For those who
care about such things, we now have a much clearer and documented view of
the actual policies carried out by the US government, and also by many
other governments, whose actions were described in the cables.

The Arab Spring may be the most visible and important consequence of the
WikiLeaks cables. WikiLeaks did not by itself cause this social movement,
but WikiLeaks did a great deal to stimulate action and to lend creditably
to critics of the regimes, and for this, WikiLeaks certainly deserves
credit.

My own areas of expertise includes trade policy, as it relates to
intellectual property rights. Here the cables provide an unprecedented
wealth of information about the Bush and Obama Administration policies over
roughly a nine year period, ending in February 2010.

Even before the most recent dump of documents, were were able to locate 240
cables detailing U.S. government efforts to expand controversial
intellectual property rights in the evidence that new medicines are safe
and effective -- an IPR rights that works interdependently from patents
granted on inventions. This is a topic that is obscure to most non-experts,
and completely unreported by the mainstream press, but is extremely
important in the eyes of public health groups. To see what our government
does, why it is important, and how aggressive is U.S. advocacy in shaping
another country's laws, take a look at these cables on Jordan or Guatemala,
for just a few data points.

The U.S. government also constantly pressured developing countries on drug
pricing. Even when US government officials knew, and wrote, that high drug
prices would undermine access, they conspired to undertake all sorts of
pressure to get policies favorable to the drug companies. Read some of
these cables and then ask yourself: what this would feel like if you were
reading about a foreign government telling us what to do?

Not counting the latest disclosures, from May 2001 to February 2010, the
Department of State published 23 cables per week mentioning
pharmaceuticals. A typical but shocking example of this was the U.S.
campaign to undermine legislation and reforms to make medicines more
affordable in the Philippines. In one striking quote from a September 2009
cable setting out opposition to price controls, Kristie Kenney, then the
United States Ambassador to the Philippines (currently Ambassador to
Thailand), acknowledges there is a strong rationale for the Philippines to
cut drug prices:

    "Prescription medication prices in the Philippines are the second
highest in Asia (next to Japan), in a country where about a third of the
population subsists below the official poverty line. In this instance, some
multinational companies failed to recognize that cheaper medicine for the
masses is an emotional and political issue."

Then there is this May 14, 2007 cable from Ralph Boyce, then the Ambassador
to Thailand, where he seems elated that Abbott Laboratories was withdrawing
drug registrations for seven products, including among others, a version of
a US government funded AIDS drugs that could be used without refrigeration
-- a feature quite important for AIDS patients living in rural areas.

    http://cablegatesearch.net/cable.php?id=07BANGKOK1524";

    ¶1. Abbott Labs, the recent target of a compulsory license on their
patented antiretroviral Kaletra, confirmed to Embassy that the company had
withdrawn applications for registration of seven new pharmaceutical
products in Thailand, and had no plans to introduce new products until its
intellectual property was properly respected. The seven drugs include
Aluvia, a new heat-stable version of Kaletra. Although the two drugs are
identical in effect, the new version is considered ideal for tropical
environments such as Thailand. Other drug applications pulled include
treatments for hypertension, kidney disease, auto-immune disease and
congestive heart failure. The applications had been on file with the Thai
FDA for up to ten months awaiting approval.

    ¶4. Comment: Abbott's actions will certainly be controversial. However,
the action may strengthen the hand of Abbott and the rest of industry in
future dealings with the RTG. Abbott's move puts the RTG on notice that
there are visible consequences for its actions, rather than solely a vague
weakening of the investment environment. Whether this focuses the minds of
RTG officials at upcoming negotiations remains to be seen. End Comment.
BOYCE

You don't have to be Noam Chomsky to find this truly appalling.

In a number of cases, the US government pressures developing countries to
put pharmaceutical company lobbyists on key government committees dealing
with drug regulation, IPR policy or drug pricing.

The disclosures go on and on. I am so angry at many of the cables that I
can hardly explain how screwed up the U.S. policies are. Some of the
disclosures have been blogged here.

http://www.keionline.org/wikileaks

After reading these cables, it is difficult to stomach the defenses of US
secrecy. Forcing developing countries to raise the price of drugs has
predictable and well known consequences -- it kills people, and increases
suffering. Many people could care less -- including reporters and editors
of newspapers. How much of this ends up in the Washington Post, the New
York Times or the Guardian these days? But others who do care now have more
access to information, and more credibility in their criticisms of
government policy, because of the disclosures of the cables.

Many of the cables are in theory available under our Freedom of Information
Act (FOIA). In practice, the Obama Administration has made it more
difficult to obtain information about trade practices under FOIA, and in
many respects is even more aggressive about secrecy in IPR negotiations
than was the Bush Administration. For these reasons, the WikiLeaks
disclosures are even more valuable. One hopes the substance of the cables
become more widely known in the United States, and that U.S. citizens begin
to question our government's close collaboration with big pharmaceutical
companies in our dealings with low income countries.