Snafu on Mon, 5 Sep 2011 21:22:11 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> September 17: Global Day of Action against Financial Capital

Dear nettimers,

as some of you may know, the call launched by Adbusters
(http://www.adbusters.org/blogs/adbusters-blog/occupywallstreet.html) to
Occupy Wall Street on September 17 has been transformed into a global
day of action against financial capital, with demonstrations now planned
in Athens, Madrid, Lisboa, Paris, London, Milan, Toronto, Frankfurt,
Sydney, Tokyo and several other cities around the globe
(http://takethesquare.net/17s/). New transnational alliances are shaping
up. The European march of the Spanish indignados towards Bruxelles
(http://bit.ly/ofQorh) is scheduled to arrive in Paris on September 17
(http://www.demosphere.eu/node/25470). The hacker network Anonymous has
recently released a video in which it announces its participation to the
Wall Street action (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcgRO0jYbs8). And the
Economics Working Groups of Syntagma Square and Puerta del Sol have just
released a joint statement (http://bit.ly/npCWkg) in which they demand
the EU/IMF to withdraw the Memorandum of Understanding that has been
imposed on the Greek government, nationalize the banks, make the
accounting records transparent, tax the wealthy, etc.

Some of these movements see September 17 only as a passage towards a new
wave of street occupations set to begin on October 15
(http://www.democraciarealya.es/). Because these actions are organized
through the Internet and/or by the social movements that are reclaiming
"real democracy" in several countries it is impossible to predict how
many people will show up on September 17. Thus if you are planning to
participate or you share the same indignation for how global financial
capital has taken control of the lives of billions of people it is
important to circulate this information as much as possible.

Here is one of the calls to action circulated by the General Assembly of
New York City:

Dear Friend,

We are the citizens and non-citizens of the General Assembly of New York
City. We come from every walk of life, a variety of cultural, political,
and religious backgrounds. Yet we share the same indignation for the
common wealth that has been pillaged by the global institutions of
finance with the complacency of the world's governments---a looting that
has led to massive unemployment, generalized cuts to public services,
despair and resignation. It is the same indignation that has prompted
the people of Greece and Spain to occupy streets and squares on a
permanent basis, the people of Egypt and Tunisia to overthrow their
governments, the people of Iceland to nationalize their bank system and
rewrite the constitution.

Over the past few weeks we have begun to share this indignation and
listen to each other in a series of public meetings open to everyone.
Freely inspired by the general assemblies that are mushrooming in every
corner of the planet we have begun to bring our differences together
through a consensual decision-making process. Such process does not aim
at erasing differences. On the contrary it wants to multiply them so
that we may begin to rebuild this nation and this world anew.

One of the first concrete steps we have decided to take is to
*participate in a global day of action against financial capital on
September 17, 2011. We invite you to join us in this action by
peacefully occupying the streets and squares surrounding the Wall Street
area in New York City beginning* *on* *September 17*. At the moment we
do not have a specific list of demands. However, the Assembly initiated
a conversation through which a number of proposals and perspectives
unfolded.

Some of us think that the imposition of a Robin Hood Tax on all
financial transactions, tax increases on capital gains, and the
reinstatement of the Glass-Steagall Act are three essential measures to
reestablish a minimum of fiscal sanity in the United States and
abroad.Some of us think that true autonomy and independence cannot be
achieved through fiscal reform. Some of us believe that we ought to
reboot the system, rewrite the constitution, recuse a system of
government employed by the rich for the rich.

Many of us think that what truly matters at this stage is to create a
shared framework which may enable everyone to speak out, be heard,
co-evolve and advance with others. If you look through this framework
you may not see one defined picture. If you walk through it you will be
amazed at the strange world on the other side. It is time to take back
our lives. We ask you to join us now in New York City or to start your
own General Assembly in your own town.

https://occupywallst.org/

http://takethesquare.net

http://usdayofrage.org/