Michael Dieter on Tue, 24 May 2011 09:11:44 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> ISEA 2011 fees

> 1 - End the symposia, and instead devote resources to a free, annual peer-reviewed journal that makes critical analysis and reception of media forms in society a priority over disciplinary policing and definition. Explicit mission here to include, support, and potentially help fund or commission writing from practitioners across academia, activism, commercial and non-profit domains. Rotating, volunteer editorial and review board. Leave the dialogue, reception and argument to less expensive means than meeting together in an official space. Let temporary physical spaces/zones of collective reception and response form on their own.

The idea of the rotating board and inclusive policies for publication
might be interesting, however, I strongly disagree with disbanding the
organisation of any events. RL is always the highest bandwidth, as
Electrosmog is testiment to, and this should not be so easy given up.
Actually meeting and spending time with people is really invaluable,
having not only the opportunity to see a presentation, but also to
have a chat or a drink afterwards. That's how communities and
collaborations really take shape, in my experience.

Moreover, there are so many opportunities to publish now within the
growing field of OA, and given than what has been suggested above will
essentially be run on free labour, I don't really see how it addresses
any of the larger concerns of this thread.

Just my thoughts,

- M.