Andreas Broeckmann on Sat, 21 May 2011 13:38:19 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> ISEA 2011 fees

dear friends,

What I would like to see coming out of this discussion is not a critique directed towards ISEA, but a comprehensive and constructive critique (and action) surrounding the way these events are conceived, whom they are targeting, how we can (can we?) come out with alternatives.

i think what would help would be to hear from some people what they think about ISEA and why they think it is important. the frustration that has been voiced here about the istanbul fees is a clear sign that there is a great desire to go and participate in ISEA2011, and i think it would be important to understand what people are expecting in order to know how to either change the system of ISEA, or invent alternatives.

in my own understanding, ISEA has always been some sort of a bastard between an academic conference, with peer reviewing and all, (which is important for the participants because of the "career credits" that they can gain), and an open forum for current trends in electronic art and digital culture. because ISEA is generally not curated like some of the big international festivals (ars electronica, transmediale, future-everything, etc.), but is open to participation through the jury process, it often is less focused, but offers a great mix of approaches (and of quality levels, too...). there is, i think, no comparable venue for academics working in electronic and media art to 'compare notes' regularly. but for the liveliness of ISEA it is vital to involve artists and free-lancers who can normally not afford the fees that are standard for an academic conference.

but that's just my idea of it.

what do *you* think?

regards,
-a