J Rabie on Wed, 9 Feb 2011 14:43:59 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> The beginning of the end?

Hallo Brain, hallo all,

It is always a pleasure to read you, Brian.

Here in France and other countries the Chinese threat is waved
regularly in our faces (or rubbed in our noses, it all depends) as if
it is something new yet as far back as I can remember the China
"threat" was being drummed into our "western consciousness". In those
days it was "the yellow peril", and we were told that if every obedient
chinaman and woman jumped at the same time, the resulting earthquake
would devastate the world. Today the threat that "they are gonna take
over the economy" is just a cover for the much more real threat wielded
by business and political leaders that if one is not prepared to work
more and earn less then a Chinaman is going to get your job so stop
complaining. So I think that there is collusion between the western
dominant class and the Chinese dominant class whereby the west
subcontracts the working class out to China and in exchange they get to
join the corporate club - which is transnational anyway and financial
domination makes national domination irrelevant (except in the rhetoric
of course). Labour in the west is too expensive and despite the likes
of Sarkozy trying to do in the welfare state, the cost of social
security remains high; and in China, no niceties like democracy or
effective labour unions, so the job can get done faster, cheaper, not
necessarily cleaner.

It is interesting how many large building projects (freeways, dams) are
being contracted out to Chinese companies all over the world and not
only in the "third" world. Not only freeways in Algeria, but tunnels in
Israel - underneath Mount Carmel in the city of Haifa - where the job
was finished far more quickly than if it had been done by a local
company (and we know how handy the Israelis are with reinforced
concrete).

I don't know if I agree with you, Brain, that we are coming to the end
of a period. I am very wary about reading regular cycles into
sequences. There is however a rapport de forces between a small,
revolted minority and hegemony but for the moment it is far from going
in the right (left?) direction.

Best wishes -
Joe.