Heiko Recktenwald on Mon, 7 Feb 2011 15:58:43 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Why so surprised?

Facebook is much more popular in Arab countries than in the "West", they
are much more familiar with the technic, setting up groups etc, in my
experience. Ir is as popular amongs girls as smoking shisha waterpipes
with apple flavoured tobacco.  They dont use it for politics in first
place, it is just a part of their life and as such also a political
tool, if they want so. They just know it very well.

Allthough I dont know Arab and In my experience at least some are very
fanatic in the sense that they dont understand critic. No wonder, they
are in a revolution. Not all are intellectuals. Many are probably very
young.

For example I dont think what Mubarak does is a war crime or genocid or
whatever they say. He is a simple dictator which is bad enough. A
question of perspective. But write this on their wall and you will get
troubles with the facebook management. I did ask myself whether they
would allow dissent when ruling. But I am just an observer and such
things are common in the "West" too..

Best,

H.