Nick on Fri, 2 Jul 2010 14:16:33 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Autonomy and Control in the Era of Post-Privacy

Thanks alot for forwarding the essay Felix, it was good to think
about & with.

There were a few bits I'm not sure I understood, which I wanted to
ask you about if you have time.

When you write about new subjectivities, you point out that the
meaning of privacy changes, due in part to the reduction in
differentiation of inner and outer worlds. You then state that
privacy becomes "more the danger of disconnection from a world in
which sociability is tenuous and needs to be actively maintained all
of the time." I don't really understand this. I see that
disconnection from fragile social networks is an issue, but am
having trouble connecting this up with privacy.

And second, you mention that new ways of constructing and taking
part in voluntary networks can increase the "real autonomy of
people, because it is focused on creating inter-personal worlds in
which autonomy can be lived on a daily basis." This too I'm
struggling to mentally connect. I see that a wider range of social
interactions, and personally tailor one's communication web, is in
some sense increasing one's autonomy, but to me it doesn't seem all
that significant. Is there more to this that I'm missing?

ownership of the wire, I somewhat disagree. It is mentioned in the
last paragraph, talking about the need to "modulat[e] what the
providers of the infrastructure can see of the sociability they
enable." For some infrastructures this is of course more technically
feasible than others (e.g. P2P vs web-based).

The second issue, of homogeneity caused by over-availability, is
really important, though I'm not sure it's essential to the argument
in the paper. It's an issue I have a really hard time thinking about
solutions to. More transparency of search engines (as alluded to at
the end of the essay) helps a little, and an ability to personally
tweak or reengineer algorithms would help more (ignoring the
problems of how to implement such a system), but even these don't
really go a long way in addressing it. Anyone else want to weigh in
(or suggest places to read more) on the problem?

Thanks,

Nick