John Haltiwanger on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 18:41:30 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> The Return of DRM

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Zeljko Blace <zblace@mi2.hr> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 21:16, Brian Holmes
> <bhcontinentaldrift@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Felix Stalder wrote:
>
> > The 2010s will see very different forms of revolt than the 90s, as
> > well as very different forms of political invention. The idea that
> > you could help to shape the protocols of a radically open public
> > space - the tremendously productive idea of "open flows" - is over.
> > That's not to say it wasn't a great project at the time, or that it
> > didn't change many people's worlds.... But it is to say that another
> > great project awaits.
>
> I doubt we would be seeing Great Project, it is more likely that
> multiplicity of critical methods dealing with existing regulations and
> power regimes of networked media space will be emerging in parallel
> and likely beyond threshold of visibility. We don't have an option
> to make the new and other virtual platform, but rather to focus on
> reFactoringREAL.

I do not understand this pessimism regarding building a platform (or
platforms). Why is this now precluded? It seems to me that a new platform is
precisely the means through which to counter the Centralization of
Everything. A new platform that resembles an old platform (Napster) but with
new adaptations (gradated visibility, distributed aggregation, and visible
handshakes).

I have no idea what reFactoringREAL is to mean (P2P hardware,
manufacturing?), but I don?t see much hope for countering the Corporate
Cloud without building a P2P cloud in response.

Regards,
John