Morlock Elloi on Sun, 31 Jan 2010 03:15:05 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> fast-changing propaganda website archiving tools?

"reputable statistics" ... that's brilliant.

If we exclude malice, the issue here is that non-commercial sites with
actual interesting content (and reputable statistics say that there is
0.000001% of those) like cryptome.org have huge problems serving that
content, as they can't afford industrial-strength infrastructure, which in
cryptome's case would likely mean 3-4 high end share-load replicated
servers on a double T3, so that when one of several hundred agencies or
several thousand individuals want to grab the latest copy of everything, it
doesn't bring the system down.

There is no easy solution: clever traffic throttling/shaping setup may cost
more than buying hardware, and maintenance of that feature may cost more
than paying for the bandwidth. At this point cryptome uses the natural
throttling mechanism: when siphoning starts, the site pretty much becomes
inaccessible.

I'll let you do your own homework as to why cryptome can't use cloud
services.