Juergen Fenn on Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:07:07 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Has Facebook superseded Nettime?

Patrice Riemens schrieb:

> (ii) many of us won't make the jump, but if they do, they'll leave
> the old mediums.

Well, no new medium has ever made older ones completely go away, see
print vs. radio vs. cinema vs. television, and mailinglists vs. blogs
vs. twitter vs. internet fora, community wikis, etc. ...

> (iii) 'free' (as in beer) web 2.0 apps are possibly going to collapse
> in a near future under the twin crush of energy over-consumption and
> financial constraints, leaving quite a many people and groups
> beached.

Interesting point, and that's something different. Confer, e.g., Twitter
to Identi.ca/status.net for micro-blogging. Both services are growing
fast, but as far as I can see, the most active users are drifting
towards the commercial Twitter, at least among my followers. Many are on
both platforms, as crossposting is easy. But I wonder, too, how long it
will take for Twitter to take the whole market...

BTW, there already is a way to read nettime-l via NNTP, as well as in a
blog-like interface, viz. over gmane.org:

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.culture.internet.nettime
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.culture.internet.nettime-announce

So it's not necessarily mailinglist vs.
something_that_can_be_displayed_in_your_browser. E.g., many users relay
their twitter accounts to Facebook. So, it's rather the same content
distributed in different ways, running in parallel next to each other.

Regards,
Jürgen.

http://identi.ca/juergenfenn
http://twitter.com/juergenfenn