Geert Lovink on Tue, 18 Aug 2009 21:57:11 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Appeal for support from ICANN civil society

> From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@syr.edu>
> Date: August 17, 2009 11:44:21 PM EDT
> To: "MADCoList" <MADCoList@list.media-democracy.net>
> Subject: [MADCoList] Appeal for support from ICANN civil society
>
> Dear colleagues
>
> Many of you have already heard of the controversies surrounding the
> ICANN Board's mistreatment of noncommercial participants. At issue
> is whether global governance of critical Internet resources will
> continue to be "tilted" toward governmental and commercial
> interests, and whether ICANN's unaccountable staff will be allowed
> to punish or handicap independent and oppositional voices.
> Despite the setbacks we have succeeded in gaining the support of
> some Board members and in creating some pressure to review and amend
> the decisions. We are now pushing for a meeting with the Board in
> the Seoul meeting, and a few other requests. We are sending the
> attached letter, which has the unanimous support of the
> Noncommercial Users Constituency (NCUC), to the Board as soon as
> possible, and we'd like for this letter to include signatures from
> public interest groups who are not already members of NCUC. Please
> help us fight for an open and bottom up policy making process for
> the global Internet, and indicate your support for a more democratic
> approach to Internet governance.
>
> Thanks!
> --MM

TO: The ICANN Board of Directors and Mr. Rod Beckstrom, ICANN
President and CEO

RE: Call to the ICANN Board to Correct Problems with the NCSG Charter,
and to Address Continuing Misperceptions about Noncommercial
Involvement in ICANN

This letter comes from nearly 150 individual and organizational
members of ICANNâs Non-Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC).  It is
also endorsed by public interest groups outside of NCUC.  We are all
deeply concerned about the July 30, 2009 ICANN Board decisions
regarding the restructuring of the Generic Names Supporting
Organization (GNSO).  We believe that the Noncommercial Stakeholder
Group (NCSG) chartering process has been seriously flawed on both
procedural and substantive grounds.  We appeal to you to address these
problems before permanent damage is done to ICANNâs reputation, to
the GNSO reform process, and to the interests of noncommercial users
of the Internet.

This letter is, first and foremost, an urgent plea to the ICANN Board
to grant three specific requests:

1) First, because you have never had the opportunity to get the full
story, we are asking for a direct meeting between the full Board and
NCUC representatives at the Seoul ICANN meeting in October.

2) Second, because of important flaws and the complete lack of
community support for the Structural Improvements Committee (SIC) and
ICANN staff-revised transitional NCSG charter[1], we ask that you make
a public commitment to completely review the transitional NCSG charter
within one year (i.e., by July 30, 2010) in a way that explicitly
guarantees that the charter originally proposed by the NCUC[2] and
overwhelmingly supported by the noncommercial community will be
considered as an alternative.  As part of this review, we commit
ourselves to finding opportunities to reconcile the differences
between the two models in a way that can gain consensus from the
noncommercial community.

3) Third, because of the danger of locking in a suboptimal structure,
we ask you not to approve any new Constituencies under the SIC and
ICANN staff-imposed transitional NCSG charter until the ongoing
debates over the status of Constituencies and their role in the NCSG
is resolved next year.  It is necessary to first determine the
framework of the stakeholder group in which Constituencies will take
their place.

We emphasize that this letter does not ask the Board to repeal its
decision of 30 July.  Although many NCUC members initially favored
rejecting the SIC/staff imposed charter in its entirety, we decided to
work within the confines of the imposed transitional NCSG charter
provided that the Board agrees to work with the noncommercial
community to create a final NCSG charter that meets the needs of both
the Board and noncommercial users.

  NCUC did this to demonstrate our support for moving forward with the
GNSO restructuring process, including implementing the new SG
structure and seating the new, bicameral Council at the October Seoul
meeting.  Thus, even though we believe it constitutes a grievous
mistake, NCUC is willing to work within the confines of the imposed
transitional NCSG charter including the Boardâs appointment of three
transitional new NCSG Councilors.  Subject to certain conditions, we
pledge to work within those parameters for the next year if our
requests are granted.  We recognize the time constraints you are
operating under and, in a spirit of cooperation we are proposing a
practical way for you to minimize the damage that will be caused by
the mistaken July 30 decision.

Nonetheless, you still need to understand that the Boardâs adoption
of the SIC/ICANN staff NCSG charter has resulted in significant harm
to ICANNâs credibility among civil society and non-commercial
Internet users, who increasingly perceive ICANNâs decision-making
process to be far from the âbottom-up, consensus-basedâ[3] platform
it is supposed to be.

We hope you are able to respond promptly, publicly and directly to the
grounds we set out herein in support of our three requests.  This
letter is also an open call to the entire ICANN community to recognize
that noncommercial representation in ICANN is in fact robust,
stronger, more diverse and more representative of noncommercial users
of the Internet than recent public statements by the Board, staff, and
other GNSO constituencies have alleged.

We address the rationale for each of these requests in the next three
sections.

I.  A Meeting with the Board in Seoul in October

It is obvious to anyone who has followed this controversy that there
has been a serious breakdown in communication between the Board,
ICANNâs management and the noncommercial community.  It is not
important to assign blame for this breakdown; it is most important to
recognize that it exists and to address it.  We are therefore asking
for a direct meeting with the full Board to help overcome this
problem.  The Board can no longer rely on the intermediation of staff
and a few Board members with entrenched positions.  We need to have a
direct exchange on the fundamental issue of ICANNâs governance
structure.

             The SICâs abrupt substitution of its own charter for the
community-developed one, the Boardâs July 30 vote ratifying that
decision, the ICANN Staffâs dismissal of the outpouring of civil
society and individual support for the NCUC and its proposals, and the
persistent misconception of what the NCUC is and stands for all reveal
basic and critical misunderstandings of why and how individuals, non-
profit groups and public interest organizations participate in ICANN
and other international groupings.  This gap can only begin to be
bridged through a direct meeting.

We note that the Board and CEO have on numerous occasions in the past
met for breakfasts or other focused meetings with other Constituency
groupings, notably business interests.  We think it is time for the
same access to be afforded noncommercial stakeholders.

II.  One Year Review

While we have many procedural issues to raise (and these will be
addressed in a separate Ombudsman complaint), the Board needs to
understand that our most fundamental and important concerns with the
SIC charter are substantive.  They relate to an important debate over
the best way to encourage and organize the participation of
noncommercial groups in the GNSO.  For more than a year, we have
advocated a single layer of Stakeholder Group (SG) organization in
which noncommercial organizations and individuals join NCSG directly
and vote directly for their representatives on the GNSO Council
(subject to geographic diversity requirements).  This SG model allows
for noncommercial organizations and individuals to be the basic unit
of membership in the NCSG.  The staff and the SIC, in contrast, have
favored Constituencies as the basic unit of organization and would
have representatives of Constituencies negotiate over the
apportionment of Council seats.  Under the staff model, forming a new
Constituency becomes a very complex, uncertain, and difficult process,
involving numerous reviews, criteria and ultimately complicating the
process of Board approval.

The debate over those two options was unfairly and unwisely cut short
in May 2009, when staff cancelled its planned June meeting with civil
society to negotiate a resolution of the differences over the
charter.  And then in June, together with SIC, staff disregarded
public comment and threw out civil societyâs charter proposal,
offering their own alternative without making any concessions or
modifications in line with the views of those questioning staffâs
Constituency-based model.

Noncommercial users believe that the Constituency-based model imposed
on us by the SIC is based on false premises and will not work well.
We are convinced that it will cause wasteful, energy-sapping political
infighting and competition; that it will raise the barriers to
participation by new groups; that it discourages consensus building;
and that it will lend itself to capture at the Executive Committee
level.  We note that the At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC) agreed
with the NCUC charter proposal on a critical point.  In its only
formally discussed and agreed-upon statement on the NCSG charter, the
ALAC statement said that âthe de-linking of Council seats from
Constituencies is a very good move in the right direction.â[4]

Additionally, we note that the Board-approved SG Charters for the
Registries and Registrars also agree with the NCUC-proposed model.
The RySG and RrSG do not require any Constituencies at all.  Instead,
self-forming âInterest Groupsâ are permitted to organize within
each SG.  This is almost exactly the structure that the NCUC proposed
for the new NCSG!  Indeed, it is evident that the registries and
registrars adopted this concept from our proposal.  Was the Board
aware of this?  On what basis did it discriminate between what it
considers the best structure for noncommercial users and for business-
supplier interests?  While in the short term it may be argued that the
members of contracting-party SGs might have more interests and issues
in common than commercial or noncommercial users, this will not
universally be the case. As the number of registries expands with new
gTLDs and they become more geographically and economically diverse,
there may be major differences among them.  With over 600 registrars
and often bitter differences of opinion among them with regard to
policy, the Registrar SG is already quite diverse; there is no
feasible case for making a qualitative distinction between registrars
and the non-contracting parties.

We have already prepared detailed analyses supporting our critique of
the Constituency-based model and are happy to prepare additional
argumentation going forward.  At this juncture our point is a simple
one.  Given the lack of support for a Constituency-based model by
three of the four Stakeholder Groups, and the adoption of a different
model by two of them, the Board must recognize that the relationship
between Constituencies and Stakeholder Groups is an open question.  We
are, therefore, asking you to revisit that question with noncommercial
users over the next year.  We ask that the Board firmly and explicitly
commit itself to a review and revision of the SIC/staff-imposed NCSG
charter within the year, and that it explicitly make the role and
status of Constituencies a primary issue to consider.  In that review,
we ask that the NCUC-proposed model not be arbitrarily thrown out of
consideration by the staff, but be placed alongside the SIC model for
open comparison and debate.  In a fair and open debate over these
alternatives, we think it is very likely that some compromise between
the SICâs purported desire to encourage new constituencies and the
NCUC-proposed charter could be found within a year.

III.  Resolve the Charter Issue Before Approving New NCSG Constituencies

The July 30 decision noted that the new Constituency petitions for
entry into the NCSG were not ready for approval, and called for
further negotiations between their advocates and the staff.  We
believe that it would be unwise to approve any new Constituencies
until the NCSG charter is no longer an âinterimâ charter,
particularly given the open question over the nature of the final NCSG
charter.  Therefore we are asking you to defer this issue until the
charter issue is resolved a year from now.  We wish to emphasize,
however, that we remain committed to working with ICANN to continue
our outreach to bring in new and diverse noncommercial participants in
the GNSO policy development forum over the next year.

There can be no such thing as an âinterimâ Constituency.  Once a
Constituency is recognized by the Board, it is incorporated into the
bylaws and it gains specific rights and privileges under the charter
and bylaws.  Moreover, the organizers of the Constituency and its
prospective members have to spend a lot of time and effort recruiting
people and setting up their own organizational structures.  To
recognize new Constituencies before finalizing a permanent NCSG
charter, therefore, would be to place the organizers of these
Constituencies in a difficult and nonviable position.  They will not
know exactly how they fit into the GNSO organization.  Or, worse, the
recognition of these new Constituencies under the interim charter
would create pressures to make the âinterimâ charter a permanent
one.  In this case, the Boardâs decisions about the final NCSG
charter would not be driven by getting the organizational issues
right, but by prior, uncoordinated decisions regarding
Constituencies.  We believe it is important to get the foundational
organizational issues right.

We wish to make it clear that we strongly support the formation of new
Constituencies in the NCSG and the Boardâs discretion in approving
them.  Our original charter proposal was designed to make it very easy
to form new Constituencies, in contrast to the staff/SIC model, which
makes new Constituencies top-heavy, organizationally burdensome and
expensive to maintain.  Given the known problems with the current
petitions to form new Constituencies in the NCSG we ask that the Board
defer formal approval of any new NCSG Constituencies for a year.

We also believe it is important for the Board to understand that
NCUCâs members will âspin-outâ into various Constituencies of
self-forming interest groups with competing agendas; it does not make
logical sense to have a âNoncommercial Users Constituencyâ and a
âNoncommercial Stakeholders Groupâ as the terms are synonymous.

IV.  Misunderstanding Over Non-Commercial Representation and
Participation in ICANN

Finally, weâd like to address, prior to our meeting in Seoul, one of
the core problems that seems to hamper resolution of these issues.

The following public statement from ICANN seems to have been the basis
for the Boardâs adoption of a transitional NCSG Charter that
inexplicably removes the ability of noncommercial users to
democratically elect all of its Councilors to the new Non-Contracting
Party House:

âthe current non-commercial community participation in the GNSO is
not yet sufficiently diverse or robust[5] to select all six of the
NCSG's allocated Council seats.â[6] (emphasis added)

This view has been repeated publicly several times by a number of
Board members, as well as by other ICANN, and GNSO community
participants.  But these statements are patently inaccurate, and NCUC
has provided facts to contradict it numerous times.  We reproduce them
below:

First, NCUC has been, and still is, currently the most geographically
diverse Constituency.
According to the 2006 London School of Economics (LSE) GNSO Review[7]
-- which is the only systematic and independent study of the GNSO ever
conducted -- diversity of membership in NCUC then was already
ârelatively strongâ and âshows quite a close fit to the
distribution of global Internet users across at least four out of five
[ICANN geographic] regionsâ.

Since then, NCUC has continued to engage in active outreach (without
ICANN financial or staff support), resulting in a current NCUC
membership today of 141 members including 73 organizations and 68
individuals from 48 countries.  Please note that this is a growth of
over 215% since the Board Governance Committee (BGC) Working Group
(WG) report on GNSO Improvements was released in February 2008.  NCUC
members come from developed and developing countries, and from outside
North America and Europe (from countries and continents such as
Africa, Korea, Cambodia, Bangladesh, Australia and China).  Unlike the
Commercial Constituency, whose website indicates 58% of its members
reside in a single country (the USA), or the Commercial Stakeholder
Group, whose first 3 GNSO Councilors (50%) will represent the USA,
NCUCâs membership is, in fact, truly diverse.

Secondly, NCUC is also diverse in terms of representation of those
individuals and groups that we have repeatedly been told have been
âunder-representedâ at ICANN, such as consumers, researchers and
libraries.  Numerous groups that champion consumer causes are NCUC
members (e.g. ICT Consumer Association of Kenya, International
Parents, Media Access Project, Read Write Web France, Uganda ICT
Consumer Protection Association, FreePress, and the Association for
Progressive Communications (APC) just to name a few); as are
individual bloggers, academics, professors, researchers, schools and
libraries (e.g. telecommunications, law and technology researchers/
educators, Global Voices, Yale Law School Information Society Project,
Diplo Foundation, several chapters of the Internet Society, EDUCAUSE,
the American Library Association, and Egyptâs Library of Alexandria)
[8]. In addition, all three of NCUCâs current GNSO Councilors are
academics and researchers affiliated with universities, think-tanks
and research centers.

Thirdly, NCUC leaders have distributed the powers, duties and
responsibilities of managing the Constituency much more widely than
the commercial Constituencies and ICANN staff have alleged.  The 2006
LSE Report documented that NCUC has had the highest number of
different people serving on the GNSO Council of any Constituency,
while the commercial Constituencies have rotated the same 5 people for
a decade.  The current NCUC Chair and all 3 of NCUCâs GNSO Councilors
are serving their first term in office.  More than a dozen new leaders
from the noncommercial community have found their way to ICANN in
recent months and are eager and ready to contribute to policy
development.  These noncommercial leaders were willing to stand for
election for the GNSO Council, had the board allowed democratic
representation to noncommercial users.

In view of the above, NCUC calls on the Board and the ICANN community
to recognize that NCUC has not just met, but exceeded, the BGCâs 2008
call for âthe new non-commercial Stakeholders Group [to] go far
beyond the membership of the current Non-Commercial Users Constituency
[and] must consider educational, research, and philanthropic
organizations, foundations, think tanks, members of academia,
individual registrant groups and other non- commercial organizations,
as well as individual registrantsâ[9].  We fully anticipate that the
new NCSG will continue to expand and diversify and we are committed to
working with the Board to bring new and diverse noncommercial
participants into the GNSO policy development process.

Conclusion

To conclude, we believe that our three requests are reasonable and not
at all burdensome for the Board to grant.  We look forward to your
response.

Signed,

Members of the Noncommercial Users Constituency (NCUC)

Organizational Members of NCUC:

Bibliotecha Alexandrino (Egypt's Library of Alexandria)

Electronic Frontiers Finland

FreePress

Diplo Foundation

AGEIA DENSI (Argentina)

Deep Dish Network

Global Voices

Freedom House

Centre for Internet and Society

Aktion Freiheit statt Angst e.V.

ICT Consumers Association of Kenya

Uganda ICT Consumer Protection Association

Free and Open Source Software Foundation for Africa (FOSSFA)

APWKomitel (Association of Community Internet Center)

Yale Law School Information Society Project

FreePress.net

Internet Society - New York

Alfa-Redi (NGO)
Bangladesh NGO's Network for Radio & Communication (BNNRC)

Read Write Web France

Privacy Activism

The Thing

Information Network for the Third Sector - RITS

Audience Act for Good TV Programs

Boulder Community Network

Estonian Educational and Research Network (EENet)

Fundacion Escuela Latinoamericana de Redes

GLOCOM

IPLeft (Intellectual Property Left)

Internet Association of Korea (IAK)

Jamaica Sustainable Development Network Ltd.

Korean Progressive Network Jinbonet

Labor News Production

Media Access Project

Open Institute of Cambodia

PeaceNet Korea

Philippine Network Foundation, Inc. (PHNET)

Stichting A.G. van Hamel voor keltische Studies

Internet Governance Project

SDNP Bangladesh

Virtueller Ortsverein der SPD (VOV)

Phillipine Sustainable Development Network

GIP Renater

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)

Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)

Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology

Information and Communications University

EDUCAUSE

Internews International

American Library Association

Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility

IP Justice

Association for Progressive Communications (APC)

Advisory Network for African Information Society

Internet Society Chapter of Mauritius

AfriDNS
Africa Leadership Forum

Jenne Redean Sans Frontieres - Tunisia

Comità para DemocratizaÃÃo da InformÃtica de Pernambuco

Multilingual Internet Names Consortium

CP80 Foundation

Electronic Frontiers Australia

Africa Leadership Forum

FGV Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade (CTS)

Loyola Law School

Pierce Law School

Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic (CIPPIC)

Strathclyde Law School

Church of Reality

Free Software Foundation Europe

Netwerk Freies Wissen

NIC Senegal

International Parents

China Organization Name Administration Center (CONAC)

Individual Members of NCUC:

YJ Park

William Drake

Yang Yu

David Olson

Charles Knutson

Jon Garon

Lamees El Baghdady

Ralph Clifford

Lehrstuhl Weber

David Bailey

Nancy Kim

Divina Frau-Meigs

Rafik Dammak

Carlo N. Cosmatos

Ian Peter

Schome Boudouin

Edward Nunes

Ron Wickersham

Timothy McGinnis

Graciela Selaimen

Fouad Bajwa

Kathy Kleiman

Rudi Vasnick
Marco

Toledo
Michael

Haffely
Gita Bamezai

Tapani Tarvainen

Ãngel SÃnchez Seoane

Hala Essalmawi

Lisa Horner

Robert Bodle

Andrew Adams

Virgina Paque

Wolfgang KleinwÃchter

Alan Levin

Claude Almansi

David Farrer

Jeanette Hofmann

Dan Krimm

Isaac Mao

Robert Pollard

Saleem Khan

Oscar Howell

Poomjit Sirawongprasert

Nathaniel James

Willie Currie

Glenn Harris

Amira Al Hussain

Nancy Handshaw Clark

James Tay

E. Christopher Carolan

Jack Lerner

Jorge Amodio

Margaret Osburne

Carl Smith

Seth Johnson

Hojatollah Modirian

Cedric Laurant

Eduardo Suarez

Oksana Prykhodko

Avri Doria

Desiree Miloshevic

Charles Mok

Rossella Mattioli

Jean-Robert Bisaillon

Patrick Reilly

Drew Jensen

cc. ________

CIVIL SOCIETY SUPPORTERS OF THE NCUC

[1] http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/ncsg-proposed-petition-charter-22jun09.pdf

[2] http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/ncsg-petition-charter.pdf

[3] See, e.g. ICANNâs GNSO Council Position Notification, 4 August
2009:  http://www.icann.org/en/committees/improvements/soi-notification-board-ncsg-appointments-04aug09-en.pdf
.

[4] http://forum.icann.org/lists/sg-petitions-charters/msg00020.html

[5] In this letter, we address primarily the question of diversity, as
it has never been made clear to us what being sufficiently ârobustâ
means or entails, given that NCUC has been a long-recognized ICANN
Constituency and has continued to grow and attract new members.

[6] Background & Explanation to the Call for Applications for Non-
Commercial GNSO Council Seats, 5 August 2009: http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-05aug09-en.htm
.

[7] See http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/gnso-review-report-sep06.pdf
.

[8] The current NCUC membership roster can be viewed at http://ncdnhc.org/page/membership-roster
.

[9] Extract from the Board Governance Committee Working Group Report
on GNSO Improvements: http://www.icann.org/en/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-improvements-report-03feb08.pdf
.