Peter Kuhm on Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:09:40 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Harv Stanic: ASCII: Amsterdam Subversive Code for Information Interchange.

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009 18:26:39 +0100 (CET) Patrice Riemens wrote:

>     The conclusion was, in our case, that to do cool stuff one doesn't
>     really need permanent space. The result of which would be creation
>     of hierarchies within  the collective and a danger  of becoming an
>     institution.
>
>     So, our future had to be shaped and we put on our thinking hats to
>     conceive method  of a new  state or existence  in time. So  at the
>     moment we  try to see and find  out how our ideas  and purpose can
>     exist without  an actual space.   We, as a collective,  are spread
>     all over the  world.  We meet sometimes in  person, we discuss and
>     create  projects, but how  to put  it all  together in  theory and
>     practice, that  is what we  see as a  new challenge to  be further
>     explored. That is on our to  do list right now and this process is
>     ongoing...and we know that answer is not '42'.

in contrast we here in Vienna had a distinct need for such physical
locations, so we founded the http://metalab.at in April 2006 and in the
very last few years one could spot a clear trend for emerging hacker-
spaces and the growing exchange between their participants.

Check out http://hackerspaces.org

cheers,
Peter