John Hopkins on Sat, 13 Dec 2008 18:59:55 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Google cranks up its Engines of Consensus

>> More interesting stuff can be found in the blog of another Google
>> employee who reveals how "[o]ur work on interpreting user intent is aimed
>> at returning results people really want, not just what they said in
>> their query".
>
>err, and how, exactly, do they know what results 'people really want'?
>isn't this what daily newspapers do? and we all know what great reflectors
>of reality, sorry, peddlers of advertising space to advertisers, daily
>newspapers are.

Exactly Damian.

Use of or participation in a techno-social system (or sub-system) will
always entail a less-than-collectively-defined filtering of the full flow
of reality 'out there.'

Relying on google is the same as relying on another human for information
about 'reality.'

You want to know about your world?  Test your senses.  That is definitive.
(whether others like it or not!)

jh