Andres Manniste on Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:05:56 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Lets all get erased from Facebook!

So I was looking at my list of Facebook contacts and it is Thierry
Geoffroy who impresses me the most because he is almost halfway to
being eliminated by the facebook robot (apparently your account is
erased at 5000). I am also growing very impatient with those who
hyperventilate about choosing who deserves to be their "friend".

>From the beginning, internet art has been about independence from
institutional bureaucracies and the formation of communities of
artists (Shulgin and Bookchin), yet here we are, artists choosing whom
they should accept as contacts. Facebook is an illusion; consequently
it makes little sense to begin constructing virtual sand castles
with their levels of nobility ( by the way, many of the people below
are more famous than you are). We all know that FB will inevitably
collapse so what is the hierarchical nonsense about? I suggest to
everyone to accept everyone and work towards the magic number of 5000
to vaporise. If you want a family page, make a separate avatar. If you
think that Facebook is more than a network node, stop pretending to be
involved with internet art. As they say in French: franchement! (get
real!).

My Friends:

Thierry Geoffroy
2647 contacts