CJ Hopkins on Sat, 15 Nov 2008 21:21:54 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Obama and the dawn of ...

This is my first contribution to the list, to which I've subscribed for
some time, so, first, thank you all, and hello from Berlin.

I wonder if it might be useful to try to clarify the frame(s) through
which this event is being perceived. Hope versus Cynicism? What I've
read from the list in recent days reaffirms my sense that a more
fundamental difference, one based on incompatible ontological-political
assumptions, divides us into two broad groups, namely, those who
perceive (real) Democracy at work, and those who perceive a Simulation
of Democracy at work. This division is admittedly rather simplistic, and
only one of many lenses through which the event can be viewed, but
perhaps it will be useful nonetheless. Here goes.

One the one hand, there are those who perceive and think within the
terms of (real) Democracy, who cannot understand why any Left-leaning
person would be uninspired by the Democrats' victory. Clearly, the
Republican agenda was rejected, and now we have at least a chance to
make some real improvements, reforms, adjustments in US foreign and
domestic policy, however slowly and incrementally. So why would any
Left-leaning person want to pee in the punchbowl? This question makes
perfect sense, IF one accepts (US-style) representative democracy as the
contextual playing field, and is invested in gaining and holding ground
upon this field. In these terms, enthusiasm, celebration, and optimism
is entirely understandable.

And then there are those who perceive only a Simulation of Democracy at
work, and cannot understand how the the former group could possibly buy
into the game. Their views are based on the premise that it is the
playing field, the system itself (I do not know what to call it ...
empire? capitalism?) which needs to be changed, not the names or party
affiliations of those in power. Left and Right no longer really enter
into the analysis, except as terms offered by the Simulation to its
participants/consumers. For this group, the Democrats' victory changes
nothing, or very little. Empire remains empire. It simply wears a
different, less hostile face for a while. This perspective also makes
perfect sense, IF one believes that representative democracy, as
practiced in the US, is but a self-protective adaptation ritual
performed by the system in order to ensure its survival by absorbing and
sublimating potentially radical opposition, especially valuable in
moments of systemic crisis.

My point here is not to argue one side or the other (clearly, I fall
into the second category). Rather, it is to suggest that these two
fundamentally incompatible perspectives exist, and that when we speak
from one or the other, without clarifying our basic assumptions, we
often frustrate those in the other group. One perceives ill-will, or
naivite, when, in essence, we are simply operating based on radically
different beliefs and assumptions, and thus posing entirely different
questions.

Take the terms themselves, for example. Center? Left and Right? Of what?

CJ Hopkins