carl guderian on Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:38:06 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> More thoughts on the American election

I have a picture of John H. Sununu, Chief of Staff for Bush (41),
picking his nose.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjacques/1998817755/sizes/l/

In 2010, this could be the First Dude picking his ass, and we'd be be
utterly unable to do anything about it. Obama is another chance, a
desperate yank on the stick during a power dive, in hopes of not
augering in.

Carl

On 9-nov-2008, at 5:49, John Hopkins wrote:

>> I'd heard the name, but I couldn't figure out what the big deal  was.
>> The policy difference between Obama and Hillary made me wonder why
>> anyone bothered.
>>
>> ...  The first time I heard him speak I was struck with simultaneous
>> joy and fear: I believed him. I don't mean I believed what he said, or
>> that I agreed with his policies, but rather, I believed that he believed
>> what he said, that he was sincere.
>
> Thanks Wade for that narrative -- I think it is VERY important for
> people to listen carefully to anecdotes NOT punditry in this moment, and
> perhaps in every moment.  For it is in those idiosyncratic words, formed
> by the individual, where we as others have to grope for meaning, and form
> an opinion on what this person is saying and consequently what they are
> about.  The important thing is that we have to THINK ourselves.  I am
> tired of pre-formed ideas being constantly spewed by a wide variety of
> mediated voices.  The voice  which is artificially amplified is speaking
> more for the techno-social system that provides the amplification than
> for any individual reflecting their  presence in this world.
 <...>