Ed Phillips on Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:44:59 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover

> complex interweaving produces very different political and cultural
> outlooks as part of one internally differentiated system. Yet I would
> agree with Keith that this does not make "totality," not even the
> totality of something called kapitalism. The imperial interweave is a
> system of power, it's dominant, it imposes its militarist will in
> staggeringly violent and absurd ways, yet there is so much else to life
> under the sun and the stars and the electric streetlamps. No less
> important than the act of looking into the eye of power is the act of
> looking away.

Yes. Exactly, Brian. One system, human made, human struggled over which is
something that I think that our squatting here on nettime is about.

Another way to look at power is at its insecurity, it's vulnerability. Not
only is it not total in a deterministic sense, our sense of determinism
being the index of a collective passivity, it is profoundly insecure and in
need of constant reassurance.

Empire has always been so. When I first saw Velasquez's portrait of that
grandly dominant despot, Felipe el Segundo, I could see as clearly as I see
the profound weakness and insecurity and even pathos of our "fearless"
pygmy leaders, felipe's profound insecurity before the gaze and the brush
of the artist, of the other.

The insecurity before the gaze of those who wield the means of the
production of representation or vorstellung. The despot feels that profound
insecurity because he has a first person seated view of the hallucinations,
of the hallucinated reinvestment in old dead fig leafs, old dead emblems
and magical insignia of a power that never was. The very form that power
takes is of a reinvestment in what one hopes must have been a reassuring
hallucination at some previous time by some prior regime of power.

Power, and here I mean very particular people acting as agents of power,
hallucinates and reinvests in outmoded hallucinations first and then
samples and tests and adapts as best it can it's very clumsy and unwieldy
hallucinations and representations.

Prosthetic power is even more insecure as it adapts itself also to the
technical apparatus and machine ontology that is coming into being even as
the multitude is coming into being.