lotu5 on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:08:03 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Dreaming of Molly Millions, the Panther Moderns and Body Hacking

Wade Tillett wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 23:44 -0700, lotu5 wrote:
>> http://technotrannyslut.com/2008/07/11/dreaming-of-molly-millions-the-panther-moderns-and-body-hacking/
>> form of resistance to them. A major part of biopower, in my view, is to
>> ensure that you are limited to the body that you’re given, and so
>> changing it disrupts the way biopower functions.
>
> Why wouldn't biopower welcome new possibilities of body? Of course body
> modifications that increase productivity would be welcome. But even any
> body modification stands to potentially produce "an emerging market
> area" (as you mentioned), a new field of limitations/possibilities. A
> fresh ground for (re)territorialization. This does not mean it shouldn't
> be done, but rather that we should question any assumption that this is
> necessarily liberatory or disruptive with regard to biopower.
> Modifications need to be deliberated within particular situations, with
> the "awareness of the extent to which media divorce the act of terrorism
> from the original sociopolitical intent" (as you quoted Gibson).

Wade,

I agree, that's a useful correction, to a certain extent. Yesterday I
was on the picket line at the UC wide AFSCME service worker strike. All
the service workers including food, janitorial, grounds, patient care
and building maintenance are on strike across the university of
california. On the picket line, of the 100 people I was marching with, I
was one of three individuals with white skin. Today, I'm at my other job
working on an archive for an art festival, and everyone in the room has
white skin, and the big head honcho is a man, and is the only male in
the room. So, I am constantly reminded that biopower works in the US to
keep people of color, women and queer people oppressed, with less
privilege than white skinned people.

Yet there is the promise of the flexible personality, as brian holmes
has written about. maybe brian can chime in here. It seems that Second
Life is a good example of this, offering the possibility for becoming
someone totally different, as long as it stays in second life and you
show up to work the next day, obediently. As Terry Eagleton writes in
"Invitation to an Orgy", even an orgy is perfectly acceptable, as long
as it is kept in its place. So while body modifications like tattoos are
perfectly acceptable and even very useful for marketing, like the tattoo
TV shows that Michael points out or the game Guitar Hero, testosterone,
which makes women look and sound much like men in a matter of months, is
tightly controlled through legal, medical and psychiatric systems. There
seem to be questions of degree and of time for power to adjust. While
today, face transplants and full body skin tone changes might be
difficult for power to still control, it is likely only a matter of time
until control mechanisms are adjusted to account for total
transformation, say through genetic identification. Will genetic therapy
will be the radical gesture then?

Perhaps you offer the best adjustment, that each use of body
modification and application should be evaluated on its own. While RFID
passport implants are very useful to governments, perhaps RFID jamming
implants are not. While vision enhancement implants are very useful for
intel engineers working on better microchpis, they are not friendly to
present regimes of biopower when put to use by palestinians building
rockets.

Michael Wojcik wrote:

 > lotu5 wrote:
 >
 >> Looking back at William Gibson's Neuromancer, I wonder, why has so much
 >> geek energy and time gone into creating one aspect of his vision in the
 >> book, cyberspace, and not others, like body hacking? Yes, I know that
 >> Vernor Vinge came up with the concept of Cyberspace before Gibson, but
 >> Gibson's book is the one most often cited as the huge cultural influence
 >> at the root of contemporary cyberculture.
 >
 > I think that's a convenient fiction. I don't believe Gibson's work was
 > really very influential in the development of "cyberculture" (an
 > odious neologism, IMO, with no meaningful relationship to Wiener's
 > cybernetics). It's a handy pop-culture referent, because of its
 > faddish popularity, but I don't see any evidence that much serious
 > work used it as a blueprint or even a vision.

Sure, net culture would be more specific.

So are you saying that science fiction in general doesn't inspire
technical developments, or that you just don't think gibson in
particular is significant? Clearly VR is not very popular, but there is
a global worldwide network of computers that is represented graphically,
which is basically what Gibson describes in Neuromancer. As I said,
vernor vinge's True Names presented the idea earlier, but Neuromancer is
widely cited as an influential text in the development of the internet.
Gibson's wikipedia entry actually has a long description of the
influence of Neuromancer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gibson#Influence_and_recognition

Personally, I found Neuromancer inspiring, and went on to spend years
learning to be a hacker, getting a computer science degree and moving on
to digital art. Do I attribute it to Gibson, of course not, but he had
some influence. I find Gibson's tired gender stereotypes in Neuromancer
to be much more egregious than any claim that he is influential.

 > Consequently, VR remains a niche field, and even shared interactive
 > multimedia environments are mostly used for playing games. Despite the
 > hype and corporate endorsements, Second Life is still a second-string
 > player in Internet culture, with somewhere around a quarter-million
 > regular users.[1] eBay has around 84 million.[2]

Your citation about Second Life is pretty dated. As of today there have
been 14,353,798 Second Life sign ups and 1.2 million logins in the last
60 days. Massively.com has great stats for other online 3d virtual
worlds as well. Gigaom.com's stats a year ago show that WoW had 8.5
million users and all their virtual world stats combined were over 30
million users:

http://gigaom.com/2007/06/13/top-ten-most-popular-mmos/

--

gpg:  0x5B77079C // encrypted email preferred
gaim/skype: djlotu5 // off the record messaging preferred