Paul D. Miller on Sun, 13 Jul 2008 07:07:34 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> Soviet Antarctica: Ice, Ice, baby...

Hi folks - sorry to be brief, but I'm writing this on my cell phone in the mountains of Umbria, Italy.

A quick response:

1) No, I don't support oppressive Communist regimes. The issue for me was that many European (and some non European - like Imperial Japan, South Africa, Argentina, the U.S., Chile, China etc) regimes throughout the last couple of centuries have projected various competitive political, economic, and ideological agendas onto Antarctica. My film explores these issues - as a scripted response to the fictional claims of territory various "great powers" made on Antarctic territories. The Soviet Union did this too! But it doesn't exist anymore, so I thought it was a great metaphor for the ever shifting geopolitical landscape the ice responds to. Think: territorial claims of a vanished nation state. It's kind of like the poem "Ozymandias."

Before commenting further, you might want to check out the trailer:
http://www.djspooky.com/art/terra_nova.php

2) Yes, I know Stanislaw (or sometimes, it's spelled Stanislav) Lem was Polish. I specifically said Soviet - Poland, after all was a member of the Warsaw Pact - it doesn't necessarily talk about ethnicity. Soviet could have been Turks, Uighurs, Kazakhs, Ukranians, Kurds, Georgians, etc.

Boris and Arkady Strugatsky were Russian. Stalin, for example, was Georgian. There's a difference.

Thanx for your comments though!
Paul

ps, everyone calls me Paul