Geert Lovink on Sat, 8 Mar 2008 23:24:47 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> computer critic Joseph Weizenbaum died, age 85

(In the fall of 2007 an old friend of mine, the Amsterdam-based
journalist-artist Ine Poppe decided to hop on the train and go to
Berlin to visit Joseph Weizenbaum. She did an interview with him and
came back with lots of interesting stories. It was around the same time
that I read the interview book , made by Gunna Wendt, in German. I
wrote about it in a nettime posting called the Society of the Query.
Ine gave me a document, in German called Was ich am Ende meines Lebens
glaube, 1 DIN A4 with 14 theses on it. It's hanging above my desk, in
front of me. "5) Not all aspect of life are computable." The same can
be said about Weizenbaum's life. /geert)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Weizenbaum

Joseph Weizenbaum (Berlin, January 8, 1923 – March 5, 2008) was an
American professor emeritus of computer science at MIT.

Born in Berlin, Germany to Jewish parents, he escaped Nazi Germany in
1936, emigrating with his family to the United States. He started
studying mathematics in 1941 in the US, but his studies were
interrupted by the war, during which he served in the military. Around
1950 he worked on analog computers, and helped create a digital
computer for Wayne State University. In 1955 he worked for General
Electric on the first computer used for banking, and in 1963 took a
position at MIT.

In 1966, he published a comparatively simple program called ELIZA which
demonstrated natural language processing by engaging humans into a
conversation resembling that with an empathic psychologist. The program
applied pattern matching rules to the human's statements to figure out
its replies. (Programs like this are now called chatterbots.)
Weizenbaum was shocked that his program was taken seriously by many
users, who would open their hearts to it. He started to think
philosophically about the implications of Artificial Intelligence and
later became one of its leading critics. His influential 1976 book
Computer Power and Human Reason displays his ambivalence towards
computer technology and lays out his case: while Artificial
Intelligence may be possible, we should never allow computers to make
important decisions because computers will always lack human qualities
such as compassion and wisdom. This he saw as a consequence of their
not having been raised in the emotional environment of a human family.
Weizenbaum was the creator of the SLIP programming language.

A few years ago, Weizenbaum moved to Berlin and lived in the vicinity
of where he used to live with his parents.[1][2]
Until his death he was Chairman of the Scientific Council at the
Institute of Electronic Business in Berlin.

See also: http://www.duvet-dayz.com/archives/2008/03/07/587/