ewen on Mon, 3 Mar 2008 23:39:14 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> AllPeers Service Shutting Down Today

this is really sad news....

http://www.allpeers.com/blog/2008/03/03/allpeers-service-shutting-down-today/

PEER PRESSURE

AllPeers Service Shutting Down Today
Monday March 03rd 2008, 4:25 pm Printer Friendly Version
Filed under:AllPeers, Firefox
Posted By: Matt and Cedric

It is with deep regret that we inform our users, friends and fans that we
will be shutting down the AllPeers service today. We are tremendously
proud of the product that our team has built, and we remain convinced of
the potential of adding social features like file sharing to the web
browser. However, we have not achieved the kind of growth in our user base
that our investors were expecting, and as a result we are not able to
continue operating the service.

The past few years have been an incredible adventure for us. We would like
to thank all of the amazing people who have helped us along the way. This
includes countless users who provided us with valuable feedback about how
to improve our product; the Mozilla community, who has proven to us that
?community? is more than just a word when it comes to open source
software; the many volunteers who spent hours translating each AllPeers
version into fifteen different languages to make it available to
non-English speakers across the world; and the friends and family who have
supported us as we pursued what undoubtedly seemed like a crazy dream.

Being an entrepreneur is the most rewarding and exhilarating job we can
imagine. Being able to build on a vision you have one morning and watch as
it grows into reality is quite an experience. Seeing people get excited by
what you are building is incredibly gratifying. The praise, devotion and
even harsh criticism of the user community is what keeps you going despite
long working hours, frequent stress and periods of uncertainty.

When we started working on AllPeers, we knew that it was an ambitious
project with no guarantee of success. Such is the nature of any software
startup. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn?t. Although we are deeply
disappointed with the way this adventure has ended, we hope that fear of
failure will never prevent us from daring to act on our inspiration.

We have met many many new friends thanks to AllPeers (you know who you
are). This is a fantastic silver lining that gives us great comfort. We
hope you will stay in touch as we move on to new pastures.

The success of this blog has also been one of the best experiences to come
out of AllPeers. We will continue to operate it under the ?Peer Pressure?
name, posting our random thoughts about the web, the software industry,
the evolution of media and whatever else strikes our fancy. We hope you?ll
keep on reading. Matt will also continue writing his Just Browsing blog
with a focus on web browsers and browser technology.

You haven?t heard the last from us. See you in our next life!