Alan Sondheim on Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:32:34 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> David Askevold 1940,2008

David Askevold

(I knew and loved David Askevold, and for years felt close to him. He was
a major influence on my life, the lives of his students and friends, al-
most everyone who knew him. His work was unique and in a very deep sense,
unfathomable and veering, nothing else is like it, it ventured into terri-
tories I didn't know existed. The doors he opened were unique. More than
anyone else, he exemplified the spirit of the Nova Scotia College of Art
and Design in Halifax, during the period it was considered the finest art
school in North America.

And David was the finest teacher of art I knew; he didn't teach so much as
opened space for his students to learn. His classes were sessions among
equals, intense, serious, playful, world. He had a soft voice and an
uncanny laugh. He was beautiful. He believed in the deep value of art and
lived that way. He was indescribable, and I'm at a loss for further words
here, these are poor enough.)