Patrice Riemens on Mon, 24 Dec 2007 15:03:59 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> News about Berlin terrorism case: terrorism cancelled - last three detainees set free on bail

Eminently fit for nettime - I'd say. And thanks for the information.

I picked up the following passage from the quotted Statewatch report
on constructing terrorism:

"Article 129a procedures are - when considering the groups they
have historically targeted and the nature of the charge (posing a
fundamental critique against the state) - politically motivated
prosecutions (see below). The political background and ideology of
those accused is therefore central to the prosecution's reasoning.
To understand the current prosecutions therefore necessitates a
mention of the political background of the accused. The four ?activist
researchers' in question were all involved in an eastern German
dissident movement critical of the political system of the former
German Democratic Republic (GDR). Three of the accused were part of
the editorial board of the last remaining nonconformist newspaper and
public debating forum of the left-wing east German movement called the
Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.ostbuero.de/)."

Which confirmed an impression I had for long time: once ennemy of
the state, of any state, always ennemy of the state. It seems to
hold particularly true for Germany, but maybe only because that
country witnessed three radical changes in state-systems in less than
three generations: from nazism to communism to, err, democracy. In
W-Germany, former opoponents of the Nazi regime were still basically
considered traitors - unless very prominent. Now dissidents to the
former GDR regime are eyed just as suspiciously.

A Merry Christmas to all, all the same!
Cheers, p+2D!

> Not sure whether this is actually fit for nettime, but since there
> seemed a vital interest in the case I'm sending it and leave the
> decision up to the moderators of the list ;). gr Anna
>

> Dear all,
>
> we have not managed for a while to put together a summary of what is
> happening concerning 'our' terrorism case. Unfortunately there was no
> more English language coverage in the media and we are moving closer to
> our personal limits when it comes to keeping up with the pace of this
> campaign. Now, near the end of the year when hopefully most of you and
> us will find the time to sit back and relax, we're sending you a
> short email with the latest developments.
>
> Also please note the information at the end of this email about a
> lecture in English language next Thursday in Berlin
> during the CCC Congress which will be streamed via internet and later
> will be ready for download.

(...)