Tapas Ray on Sun, 2 Dec 2007 15:11:16 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Tintin in Bengal, or Musee Guimet Controversy

Naeem,

As you know, I was confused, too. Thanks for clearing it up.

It is absolutely astounding that the government in Dhaka should be
sending those priceless treasures to a museum with such a record, but we
are used to scandalous behavior from governments in our part of the
world. France is different, or should be. One gets the sense that the
emerging supranational entity called "Europe" is eager to project itself
to the rest of the world as being liberal, civilised, and humane. If we,
who belong to the periphery, are to believe this, France should rein in
Guimet instead of helping it along in a criminally inept or simply
criminal enterprise as you have described.

If the French want to see those artifacts - and I think that would be a
good thing for Bangladesh - their government should take direct
responsibility for the exhibits. It should catalog them properly, since
the Dhaka museum people have clearly failed to do that, insure them
adequately, and ensure their safe return after the display.

Tintin should grow up.

Tapas

Naeem Mohaiemen wrote:

> Tintin in Bengal, or Musee Guimet Controversy
> Naeem Mohaiemen
 <...>