Jack Jansen on Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:51:32 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Goodbye Classic ?

While proprietary OSes (or other indispensable software) definitely
make the obsolescence problem no easier they are definitely not the
only source of the problem. Hardware also disappears, and so do online
resources, peripherals, etc.

Vernor Vinge (Hugo-award winning SF writer, and a computer scientist
in a previous life) came up with the concept of "programmer
archeologist" in "A Deepness in the Sky". The book is set very far in
the future, and to cut a long story short, the idea behind the
programmer-archeologist is that most programming problems have already
been solved in one form or another. So a large part of the task of the
programmer-archeologist is finding previous solutions to the problem,
and then stacking up emulators to make those programs work again.

Definitely worth reading if you're interested in the long view on
obsolescence (and even if not, it's a great story),
Goldman