Morlock Elloi on Fri, 2 Nov 2007 09:31:44 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Toward a critique of the social web

I don't see the difference between ownership and access etc. There is
a private wire, someone owns that wire, and may or may not let your
packets use it. There is a private disk owned by someone, and your
bits can be deposited or read only if the owner agrees. It's a pure
property issue.

To refresh memory, ownership of "your" web pages is subject to and conditioned
by:

1 - good will and disinterest in fucking you up by ARIN
2 - good will and disinterest in fucking you up by your registrar
3 - good will and disinterest in fucking you up by ICANN
4 - good will and disinterest in fucking you up by your ISP

Respective governments can do anything they like with 2 and 4. Additionally,
USA can do the same to 1 and 3. I'm amazed how people take the Internet for
something 'solid'.

> ** *Thanasis/Pavlos:* How central is the question of "who owns the
> means of production" in relation to the net economy?
> > *Paul Hartzog:* I think that what is happening now underscores the
> fact that ownership was never the issue. Ownership grants you the

end
(of original message)

Y-a*h*o-o (yes, they scan for this) spam follows: