olia lialina on Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:12:36 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> vernacular web 2

In the beginning this article was an "index.html" saved in the
"glitter" folder. Then it got the working title "The work of users
in times of perfect templates". Then it became "Rich User Experience
for the Poor" and was presented at the New Network Theory conference.
After the presentation, UCSB professor Alan Lui suggested to rename it
to "Homesick". But for the moment I'll leave it as

Vernacular Web 2

http://www.contemporary-home-computing.org/vernacular-web-2/

Two years ago I wrote an article titled ?A Vernacular Web?, in which I
tried to collect, classify and describe the most important elements of
the early Web ? visual as well as acoustic ? and the habits of first
Web users, their ideas of harmony and order.

I?m talking about everything that became a subject of mockery by
the end of the last century when professional designers arrived,
everything that fell out of use and turns up every now and again as
the elements of ?retro? look in site design or in the works of artists
exploring the theme of ?digital folklore?: the ?Under Construction?
signs, outer space backgrounds, MIDI-files, collections of animated
web graphics and so on.

If you are missing the way pages looked before, you should install The
Timemachine Firefox Add-on by Tobias Leingruber.

And today, in the end of June 2007, when we hear of amateur culture
more often than ever before, the cultural influence of ?Welcome to My
Home Page? web pages looks especially interesting. People who created
them and their ideas of what the Web is, how it can be used and how
the pages should look, these people?s likes and mistakes gave the
today?s Web its current shape.

To me, what defines the history of Web is not just the launch dates
of new browsers or services, not just the dot-com bubbles appearing
or bursting, but also the appearance of a blinking yellow button
that said ?New!? or the sudden mass extinction of starry wallpapers.