nettime's_qualquant on Sun, 5 Aug 2007 18:27:58 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> what is to be studied digest [x4: recktenwald x2, geer x2]

Subject: Re: <nettime> the fate of Middle East studies
     "Benjamin Geer" <benjamin.geer@gmail.com>
     Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>
     "Benjamin Geer" <benjamin.geer@gmail.com>

Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 11:13:02 +0300
From: "Benjamin Geer" <benjamin.geer@gmail.com>

2007/8/4, Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>:

> IMHO it is not the business of Arabs to make the West listen to them.

Which brings us back to my original question: who persuades Westerners
to listen to people in the rest of the world?  Who persuaded them to
listen to Latin Americans?  Maybe academics...

> Maybe the business of Western journalists in Egypt etc to report what is
> really happening. In Gaza etc.

OK, but how do you define "what's really happening"?  A friend of mine
was working recently for Associated Press in Cairo, and I asked her
why most Western news reports about Egypt are about discoveries of
Ancient Egyptian artefacts or about violence, while there's very
little about the basic realities of life in Egypt today.  She said
that unfortunately, a story only becomes "news" when an event with
significant effects happens, like an explosion, a scientific discovery
or a major change in government policy.  If a problem has been going
on for years, and nobody is doing anything about it, it isn't news.

Maybe that's why most Westerners seem to imagine that Egypt consists
entirely of pyramids, camels and terrorist bombings.

Ben

> Which brings us back to my original question: who persuades Westerners
> to listen to people in the rest of the world?  Who persuaded them to
> listen to Latin Americans?  Maybe academics...

I dont think they have much influence outside of universities. Indymedia etc
may have more..;-)

>> Maybe the business of Western journalists in Egypt etc to report what is
>> really happening. In Gaza etc.
>>
> She said that unfortunately, a story only becomes "news" when an event with
> significant effects happens, like an explosion, a scientific discovery or a
> major change in government policy.  If a problem has been going on for years,
> and nobody is doing anything about it, it isn't news.

There are a lot of Muslims in Germany, in France, the US etc and they
are starting to try to build nice clean mosquees. Out of backrooms, with
or without high towers, with or without a speaker on that tower, the
are hot topics today in Cologne and Berlin.

Conclusio, again: the Muslims themselves will raise awareness by just being
here.

Best,

H.