Bruce Sterling on Mon, 19 Mar 2007 02:36:12 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> the ideal job for somebody or other

[[[forwarded message below -- nettime mod (tb)]]]

Dear Friends,
This looks impersonal and spammish, but it isn't.  I am writing to
ask for your help because you are interested in open content and open
licensing, and/or work on educational issues.

I have two favours to ask.  Thanks to funding from the Hewlett and
Macarthur Foundations, Creative Commons is launching a new division
called CC Learn, which will be devoted to open educational material
and repositories - kindergarten through lifelong learning.  CC
Learn's goal is to break down the barriers - whether legal, technical
or cultural - between different collections of open educational
content.  Our goal is to make material more "interoperable," to speed
up the virtuous cycle of use, experimentation and reuse, to spread
the word about the value of open educational content, and to change
the culture of repositories to one focused on "helping build a usable
network of content worldwide" rather than "helping build the stuff on
our site."   Please help us spread the news!

Second, we need an Executive Director with experience in education to
run the new division.  The person would be located in San Francisco,
working with the astounding CC staff. Details are here.   http://
creativecommons.org/about/opportunities#ccl  Please pass this
information along to the networks you are a part of and encourage
qualified people to apply.  Save the world and advance learning
through open content, in San Francisco, while surrounded by extremely
cool people.. What more could one want?

This is a really exciting initiative.  Imagine a global network of
open and free educational content, with curricula customized to
different states or countries, with experimentation across multiple
sites and multiple platforms, so that someone else can find things to
do with my content that I never thought of...   Imagine bringing into
the open educational content community hundreds of thousands of
teachers, students and volunteers.  Imagine pursuing ease of
discovery and use of educational material with the same ingenuity and
dedication that we invest in making e-commerce systems work well or
in allowing teenagers to flirt with each other on social networking
sites..  Many of the pieces are in place, and there are great people
working on the issue already,  but there is a lot to do.  Please help
us by passing this along.  (And if you can help fund it or donate to
support it, so much the better!)

Thanks so much,
warm regards,
Jamie

___________________________
James Boyle
William Neal Reynolds Professor of Law
Duke University Law School
Science Drive & Towerview
Box 90360
Durham, NC 27708-0360
919 613-7287 ph.
Home Page & Essays http://james-boyle.com
New Novel http://www.shakespearechronicles.com
Center for the Study of the Public Domain
http://www.law.duke.edu/cspd
Financial Times Columns
http://www.ft.com/techforum
Creative Commons