nettime's_six_steps_back on Sun, 21 Jan 2007 05:05:53 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> Iraq: What Is To Be Undone digest [x3: Holmes, De Vries, Recktenwald]

Brian Holmes <brian.holmes@wanadoo.fr>
    Re: <nettime> Iraq: Ways Backward Digest
"Kimberly De Vries" <cuuixsilver@gmail.com>
    Iraq: the way forward
Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>
    Re: <nettime> Iraq: Ways Backward Digest [4x]

Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 19:41:33 +0100
From: Brian Holmes <brian.holmes@wanadoo.fr>
Subject: Re: <nettime> Iraq: Ways Backward Digest

Tom Keenan asks:

>  what has the war actually demonstrated to any potential future adversary?

Well, on the one hand that the US really is the rapacious bloodthirsty
imperialist band of crooks and goons they thought it was. On the other,
that it and any other power is still unable to win a protracted
guerrilla resistance war, or to stop individuals from exploding
improvised devices on the streets. A radical defeat with people hanging
off the struts of helicopters would obviously embolden all kinds of
actors. The consequences are potentially enormous, especially when you
add looming failure in Afghanistan. The Islamists who want to switch the
battle to the "near enemies" - like Musharref, or maybe the Saudi royals
- are gonna be seriously encouraged. The Iranian border could easily
move westward. It's gruesome to think what could happen in southeastern
Turkey. Fortunately the US lost in Vietnam and had to abolish the
conscript army. Otherwise the overwhelming temptation would be to assume
the mantle of Empire, and carry out a full-on, long-term occupation of
Iraq to keep the lid on. But that doesn't seem to be an option. The real
discussion now is the exit strategy. It's not as simplistic as you leave
or you stay. There is a links page here:

http://www.comw.org/pda/0512exitplans.html

I would like to see a more complete one. What's enlightening about this
one is the gap between the longer papers by experts, and what the
politicians and pundits say. The latter is just rhetoric and clearly
doesn't come close to what's seriously envisaged. I guess if I was an
educator I would teach exit-strategy-as-literature. Or as one of the
fine arts. Or as another form of non-Euclidean geometry. The point is to
get the real situation on the table. The US needs a totally different
foreign policy based on ecological codevelopment and respect of the
other. There is a historic chance to do it, because the course pursued
since the 1980s is a total failure. But maybe just a frank defeat would
be better for everyone in the long run. If it doesn't bring the whole
house of cards all down with the House of Bush.

best, Brian