nettime's_centrist_urge on Fri, 19 Jan 2007 06:27:05 +0100 (CET)

<nettime> ACT 7,8,9 DIGEST [marcelo, recktenwald, woooo]

marcelo@brumaria.net
  Re: <nettime> ACT 4,5,6 DIGEST [marcelo, nico, marcelo]
Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>
  Bobo
dr.woooo <dr.woooo@gmail.com>
  re: ACT 4 RADICAL EUROPE list crosstalk aut-op-sy

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:00:25 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: <nettime> ACT 4,5,6 DIGEST [marcelo, nico, marcelo]
From: marcelo@brumaria.net

hi nico,

thanx for your nice - and perfectly argumented response, i could hardly be
in disagreement with :))

and (ejem) sorry for possible cross-posting...

the only point about which i guess we are not totally synchronized could
be sumarized like this:

> I'd say that even in a new Europe, citizenship cannot be extended
> indefinitely, nor can a European political body defined by a European
> parliament exist without border regimes - how can such an entity exist
> without exclusion or control over its borders? Even an extended
> citizenship is still a limited franchise. Only so many people can be
> citizens (and, citizens of a state at that). No state, and no limits,
> would render citizenship meaningless. And without borders one cannot
> regulate citizenship. The migration of people into Europe calls
> citizenship into question, and disrupts the body politic - the strains
> can be seen in the racist attacks on various Muslim communities, in the
> stated plan to introduce a European guest-worker program... these are
> the responses to the challenge. Which is not to say that campaigns for
> papers, or the end's of camps, or health care for all, etc are bad
> campaigns, just that to contain the extension of services/etc within a
> program for parliamentary reform is to contain the possibilities such
> extensions & campaigns hold within a strong definite limit, making such
> campaigns limited and doomed to failure, because they will reach the
> limit of the citizen soon enough. To start from this point then, seems
> to be less that radical and challenging to me...

"the migration of people into europe calls citizenship into question, and
disrupts the body politic"... but still, when we demonstrate in the
streets with migrants, what they shout is: "we want papers" -

i guess we dont have a chance: it's not one or the other, it's one *and*
the other: we need to emphacize and in fact, as you say and argue very
well, open moments of crises *and* have practical, reachable steps to
solve what's unacceptable in people's daily living conditions -

i.e. -

surely we would long agree in a critique of the idea of "human rights" -
but - demanding the practical respect for people's rights in "camps" or
borders is in no way incompatible with fighting for the disappearance of
contemporary concentration camps for migrants in europe -

the same goes for the idea of "citizenship" - to demand its practical
extention might put it in contradiction with - and not necessarily
reinforce - its dependence on a nation-state regime within europe - even
when we would largely agree on a critique of the idea of "citizenship"...

> it depends on the program - an open program, not already existing with
> prescribed limits, that leaves room for new idea, ways of doing and
> being, processes, etc, that leaves open the possibilities of identity
> (or a complete lack of) and association (or, again, disassociation) is
> important. But a program to unify all such movements under a push for a
> new 'radical' social-democrat program does sound like a step back to me...

change laws, force the application of basic rights, and expand and change
the real existing rights into new forms or rights... those are things
that, at least today, have to be accomplished in parliaments for instance
- even when we accept this, we don't have *any* reason to renounce to
construct a different, oppositional kind of legitimate, practical, radical
movements from below... -

one thing is a program open to processes as our own agenda; another thing
is to give a clear, exact (maybe tactically reformist) name and definition
and description of what we practically need *right now* - this might sound
contradictory - contemporary reorganization of european power structures
is not less open, in progress, and contradictory than we are :) - to have
a radical "social-democrat"-like tactical program might be a way to claim
the actual respect and implementation of people's rights *and* push for
the opening and deepening of the kind of crises that you describe -

in solidarity,
marcelo * * *