Kimberly De Vries on Fri, 12 Jan 2007 05:53:13 +0100 (CET)

Re: <nettime> Iraq: The Way Forward

We who oppose the war have been acting apathetic, it's true.  I think
the reason for some is that it seems our efforts are useless.  When
the war was beginning there were huge protests; many contacted their
politicians,marched, etc.  And that accomplished nothing.  The mass of
Americans swallowed the Bush/Cheney fabrications about links to Sept.
11, and "weapons of mass destruction."  Our so-called representatives
voted for the war in spite of anything we said or did.  Not to mention
being called treasonous for even questioning and having websites
appear at which students could report "leftist" faculty who were
"forcing their opinions on students."

And ever since the media is mealy-mouthed, reports little about any
protest that does happen, and doen't really investigate.  Bush has
seemed coated in teflon until just recently, and even still, it looks
like he could get a way with sending even more troops.

I'm afraid many who opposed this war now do spend more energy on local
issues where they actually can make some difference, rather than
resisting the war.

Kim

On 1/11/07, Benjamin Geer <benjamin.geer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/01/07, Michael H Goldhaber <mgoldh@well.com> wrote:
>
> > b) Venice is in fact becoming de-populated, with its natives moving
> > to the car-unfree mainland;
>
> That's because tourism has driven up real estate prices to the point
> where locals can no longer afford to live there.  There are ways to
> prevent this from occurring in car-free cities, and some of these are
> discussed in the book _Carfree Cities_.  The author emphasises that
> Venice is not an ideal car-free city, and that it should be possible
> to build better ones; hence his detailed design proposal.
 <...>