mollybh on Fri, 8 Sep 2006 10:46:01 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Are Cities Good For Creativity?

But, can we also say that airports are an alter ego of cities? or that
hospitals are? Asymptote writes in their work that airports are substitutes
for cities (from their book, FLUX) - friends who are doctors have referred to
their installations of hospitals and ancillary services, food courts,
transport systems, preschools, apartments, and university research centers
as "like cities." I wonder at the dramatic focus in your question on interment
camps - it is interesting to consider the social and intellectual life of
these places, even in a time of Fortress America, Fortress Europe, Fortress
Australia - maybe they are a better analogue for conservative nations? But, I
wonder how productive it is to think of them in this framework alone?  Maybe
it is useful to look at airports, hospitals and interment camps because they
are limited spaces? and can therefore show us how cities differ and are more
complex?